Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,014
Question

mixing valve distance from supply pipe

OK, i messed up my rough-in a little bit because i did it before buying my bath tub. i thought the center of the inside of the tub was the same as the center of the whole thing on the outside but the outer wall is much fatter so the drain hole is skewed inside... live and learn.

as a result, the cold water pipe (right) is getting way too close to the mixing valve socket, maybe barely 1/2". which is a problem because there is not enough room between the threaded and sweated connecting enough not to cook the sealant.

i would make a turn in the pipe but there is a 2x4 stud right next to it on the right, to make the problem bigger, i would have to redo the framing. i don't wanna turn right, go through the stud, and then turn back left to have enough of a distance.

so, i wonder if there is any way to solve this problem elegantly, without redoing the rough-in both framing and plumbing. my ideal scenario is presented on the illustration, which assumes that the joint is somehow possible to be made so close without overcooking either the pipe dope or the teflon tape that goes into the threading.

HELP PLEASE !!
Attached Thumbnails
mixing valve distance from supply pipe-mixing_valve.jpg  

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

i guess i can put the street elbow on a 4" or so piece of pipe, then sweat the female adapter, then thread it onto the valve, then union the hole thing onto the pipe ... DUH !!

Old 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I always soldered them in place unless the mixing valve said not too. some valves I had to take apart so it wouldn't melt the plastic parts inside. what about soldering the female adapter to the street ell and a 6 inch piece of pipe in the other side of the street ell. then you could solder that to your feed line with a coupling. could you solder all the copper together and then thread the mixing valve into the female adapter?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
I always soldered them in place unless the mixing valve said not too. some valves I had to take apart so it wouldn't melt the plastic parts inside. what about soldering the female adapter to the street ell and a 6 inch piece of pipe in the other side of the street ell. then you could solder that to your feed line with a coupling. could you solder all the copper together and then thread the mixing valve into the female adapter?
you mean solder the threaded female adapter in the threading? didn't know that could be done but certainly is an option.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #5

No don't solder the threads. I meant I screwed the adapter on then soldered the 90 to it?
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (11-29-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
No don't solder the threads. I meant I screwed the adapter on then soldered the 90 to it?
you can't do that, it will cook the sealant
Old 11-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #7

never had a problem with it. of course you dont fry the whole fitting just get it hot enough for the solder to run all the way around. did it with teflon tape also and never had a leak. if you are worried then do what you said in post #3 and you shouldn't have a problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (11-29-2011)

Tags
mixing valve