Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #1

Share |

Mixing valve

I have doing alot of reading about the hot water mixing valves that are now code in my area.
I dont really get the powers that implement, these new laws ,as they are concerned about kids getting burnt from very hot water at the Tap.. how many people have 60 C hot water as soon as you turn it on, if the kids are getting burnt by hot water they need to look at the parents not the plumbing.....and as far as Legionnaires' disease, keep your hot water tank set at 60 c.
These valves don't seem to last long and are expensive, and just something else to deal with.. I don't have one on my house and don't plan on getting one.When i turn the hot water tap on it would take a good 30 secs or more depending how close it is to the hot water tank to get hot water.Dont you think some of these codes are not very well thought out.

rick31797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Always learning...

Mixing valve

I replaced our old shower mixing valve last year b/c it was leaking. The new one is a thermostatic mixing valve and I personally like it. The old valve would burn the crap out of you if you were in the shower and a large amount of cold water was used elsewhere. (ie. flushing a toilet, washer running, using a sink...) The new valve now automatically adjusts the incoming water so that we can't get burned in those situations. I can't speak to their lifespan compared to the older valves, but as far as their functionality goes, they are a big improvement in my eyes.

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fetzer85 For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #3

Mixing valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick31797 View Post
I have doing alot of reading about the hot water mixing valves that are now code in my area.
I dont really get the powers that implement, these new laws ,as they are concerned about kids getting burnt from very hot water at the Tap.. how many people have 60 C hot water as soon as you turn it on, if the kids are getting burnt by hot water they need to look at the parents not the plumbing.....and as far as Legionnaires' disease, keep your hot water tank set at 60 c.
These valves don't seem to last long and are expensive, and just something else to deal with.. I don't have one on my house and don't plan on getting one.When i turn the hot water tap on it would take a good 30 secs or more depending how close it is to the hot water tank to get hot water.Dont you think some of these codes are not very well thought out.
The code is not written to deny you a hot shower, It is written to protect people who have passed out in the shower for medical or other reasons. Some folks have passed out hitting the handle on the way down and ended up scalding themselves as they lay in the shower with hot water pouring on then. Some have received very serious burns which if not killing them required many years of skin grafts and pain.

Under the IPC your temperature can be set between 110 F through 120 F

Try holding your back of your hand under 120 F for 10 minutes and let me know if that is not hot enough.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Always learning...

Mixing valve

We have our WH set @ 140F, not because we need to use the water at that temp, but because it works better for our needs. It probably helps in the dishwasher but the real reason is for showering. My wife and 2 daughters prefer to shower in the morning and if the WH is set in the 110-120 range it doesn't last long enough. At 140 it seems to be fine.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #5

Mixing valve

Well our shower has a moen posi-temp pressure balancing valve on it, so if someone does flush the toilet there is little change in the temp.I thought the code had to do with Legionnaires' disease.

Seems a bit of a stretch to say this code added because of seniors passing out in showers, what if they leave a gas stove burner on.
rick31797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #6

Mixing valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick31797 View Post
Well our shower has a moen posi-temp pressure balancing valve on it, so if someone does flush the toilet there is little change in the temp.I thought the code had to do with Legionnaires' disease.

Seems a bit of a stretch to say this code added because of seniors passing out in showers, what if they leave a gas stove burner on.
It requires 126 degree water to kill legionilla virus. I seriously doubt you will get a large concentration between the valve and the shower head,
Old 04-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

Mixing valve

http://media.wattswater.com/F-H20LS-Reprint.pdf read up.

The valve also keeps a large temperature flux hitting you when other fixtures are used... The jerk reaction may cause you to fall.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #8

Mixing valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzer85 View Post
We have our WH set @ 140F, not because we need to use the water at that temp, but because it works better for our needs. It probably helps in the dishwasher but the real reason is for showering. My wife and 2 daughters prefer to shower in the morning and if the WH is set in the 110-120 range it doesn't last long enough. At 140 it seems to be fine.
The temp I was quoting is for the shower valve itself. Hot water tanks can be up to 140 degress.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
fetzer85 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #9

Mixing valve

yep agree somr laws and codes can be petty and annoying....but this was a good code ..because it protects eveybody form a mishap that use to happen all the time....say your taking a shower in the old days....nice a hot then all of a sudden you hot turns to all cold..what a shock your reaction is to get out of the way ..well most older ones fall and get hurt some very serious....hope you never have to learn the hard way about certain laws and codes that there intended purpose it to protect...even if it is inconvenient...ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote