DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Misbehaving shower mixer valve (

ranagnos 03-01-2008 12:06 AM

Misbehaving shower mixer valve

I've got a shower with a mixer valve that's misbehaving. It never seems to stop mixing, so the water is only lukewarm and not full pressure, even when it's fully on. I'm assuming the mixer valve needs repair/replacement, but I'm not sure if it's possible. I can't tell if there's a cartridge that can be replaced. It's a single-handle shower control. The fixture seems to be a Kohler, but when I pull off the faceplate, the value says Zurn on it. I don't know if that's a common setup. I also can't find anything that looks similar on the Zurn or Kohler websites, so I'm not sure where to start looking for a replacement part. Any suggestions on how to start?


Chris Johnson 03-01-2008 12:11 AM

If it's Kohler they come with anti scald stops which are usually set really low and need adjustment, either use an allen wrench and back off the set screw (kind of hard to do) or remove the small rubber band, pull out the stop and turn it further away from the stoping point to allow full hot water flow.

Be careful not to scald yourself now

darsunt 03-01-2008 01:23 PM

I recently replaced a shower valve. I took the handle and escutcheon down to a local plumbing shop, and they knew exactly what valve I needed (pricefister). I shut the water supply off and replaced the valve successfully - keeping the number of a local plumber in case things got screwed up.

I believe every type of shower valve setup is a bit different, plus with age things tend to get crusty. So there are always a few speed bumps on the job, and it helps to be handy to understand and overcome them. I was lucky and the job went real fast.

Double A 03-02-2008 04:34 PM

Can you post a picture of the faucet?

ranagnos 03-03-2008 01:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ahh, pictures... good idea.

I don't see anything obvious on the valve for a anti-scald adjustment, but maybe the two sides can be adjusted with a flathead, where the screws for the faceplate go in?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to look for specs on this before I just start unscrewing things? Or know how the anti-scald adjustment should work? The valve doesn't look particularly like anything I can find on Zurn's website, and the Kohler website seems mostly useless without a part number.


darsunt 03-03-2008 03:57 PM

It's a cartridge. Perhaps the cartridge was installed upside down?

Like I said before, unless someone here in the forum comes through, I'd take as many parts as you can down to the local plumber shop and ask them for advice.

hardknocks1 03-03-2008 07:24 PM

in luck
its a common valve and you should have no problem getting parts from a plumbing supply.
i believe the two screwdriver slots on each side of the valve are your integral shutoffs, try turning them clockwise and turn on water to make sure it shuts off the shower/tub valve.
if it does you can take apart the center section and take parts to plumbing supply.
i am pretty sure the zurn valve will accept kohler trim.
maybe they can print out directions for the anti scald adjustment.
better yet just bring the pics with you and leave the valve intact.
good luck

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1