Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2005, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Maximum shower

I am a CT contractor. I have a customer who is dissatisfied with what most would consider an adequate shower. His complaint is the flow is to low. He has stayed in some of the world finest hotels and has experience deluge showers and he wants the same thing in his home.

The house is on a well that produces about 15-16 gpm. The pressure tank and hot water tank are in the basement with about 100ft from the 2nd floor shower (the runs are 1" cu pipe for about 50ft then reduce to 3/4"). The showerhead is an 8" Harrington Brass unit and he's right, the flow is not much to write home about.

I haven't had much luck getting advice from local plumbers. The one suggestion that I did get was to install two 40 gallon tanks (hot and cold) as close to the shower as practical. [The closest practical place is on the 1st floor about a 25ft run from the shower.] The tanks would be piped with 1" pex directly to the shower valve with no other fixtures on these two lines. There may also be some sort of booster pumps in this configuration.

This ideas sounds feasible but I'm no expert. My concern is that if a lot of money is spent and the result is not satisfactory I will be hung out to dry.

Any suggestions, advice, and help will be greatly appreciated.

JIM

beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Maximum shower

Have you tried removing the 'filter/flow restrictor' from the showerhead? These are a serviceable item and designed to be 'cleaned'. The plumbing seems to be fine. There may also be a restriction in the valving system. Tackle the 'filter' first.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Maximum shower

I think that is a good call Teetor...There has got to be a restriction to the flow somewhere, or a nightmarish leak that has gone undetected. What you must understand here Beam is that water pressure does not disapate easily, and flow through a 3/4 inch pipe can reach flooding gpm rates. Something is preventing this water from flowing...good luck.
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote