Master Bath Remodel... Have Lots Of Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Master bath remodel... have lots of questions

I'm in the middle of a master bathroom renovation. I bought the house knowing the master bath was a mess, multiple leaks have existed for at least six years, all the subfloor was ruined, big mess. I ripped everything out, "I" beam floor joist on 16 inch centers look great (thank goodness) I replaced the rotten OSB subfloor with CDX 3/4 inch tongue and groove plywood, construction adhesive on top of beams, corrosion resistant screws every six inches, everything looks good so far.

I have two questions today... one is the 1/2 inch backer board that goes over the sub floor and under the tile. My plan is to put thinset down with a 1/4" X 1/4" X 1/4" square notch or U-notched trowel, put the backer board down, leave 1/8" spaces between all of the boards and the walls, and screw it down with 1 5/8" corrosion resistant screws every six inches. Then when I am laying the tile use Thinset tile mortar to fill in the spaces between the backer boards and hold the tiles down. Is this a good way to secure backer board and tile? I am glad to do additional work, getting it right is much more important to me. Oh, and I'm laying 18", grade 3, porcelain tile, thinking about trying a 3/8" square notch trowel on the floor to lay the tile. Any recommendation on trowel size notches for that is 3/8" the right size?

My second question is that I am going to be putting in a custom shower and I am consider using the Schulter Kerdi shower system. I have researched it a good bit, it seems like a good system. What do you guys think? Is this a DIY job or should I call in a pro? I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of doing it myself, but would prefer not to learn this lesson the hard way.

Thanks.

Advertisement

jpeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

On the backer board, look on the company's website for install instructions on what to use for thin-set, any spacing between sheets, and how to close up gaps. I used a modified and fiberglas tape designed for backerboard with thinset at the gaps when installing the tile. I always assume the instructions are best coming from the mfg. Perhaps I'm wrong but so far the floor is holding up quite well.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

the bath kit is what I saw holmes on homes use all the time. It looks like a good idea from my vantage point. Sounds like you have a European mindset of building. I like that my self. Build things to last and look good. takes a long time, but well it lasts longer.
immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backer board , kerdi , schluter , shower , tile