Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #1

Share |

master bath needs a separate shower

Hi, all. I am new to this forum, but not new to remodeling. I need some advice on what to do with my master bathroom...besides getting rid of the awful pink plumbing fixtures! Can't wait to get rid of them!

My bath is 9 ft by 11ft. The door in one picture leads to a 6 ft by 11ft closet. I hate showering in a tub, but would like to keep a whirlpool tub in there. So, I need a walk-in shower but can't figure out where to put it. I do not need the huge floor to ceiling cabinet but that is not enough room. There is lots of wasted space. We only need one sink. The black marble floor has to go too.

I also wondered how expensive it is to add a shower drain to the concrete? Seems like it would involve a jackhammer and a lot of money.

We have an additional master bath with a toilet and sink, but no tub or shower. Our master bedroom has plenty of space if we need to borrow for the shower. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks for your advice!

Can't add picture...will try to add later.
pypeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #2

Ok Figured the picture thing out. We are currently remodeling our living room and dining room and fixing the steep stairs to the upstairs bedroom. Plus all ceilings are gone and we are waiting on the sheetrockers. Vaulted ceilings and I do not get along..so someone else will do that part. Stairs are way past a DIY project. Only 12 steps where there should be 15. All living and dining furniture are in our bedroom. What a mess!
Attached Thumbnails
master bath needs a separate shower-master-bath-1.jpg   master bath needs a separate shower-master-bath-2.jpg   master bath needs a separate shower-master-bath-3.jpg  

Last edited by pypeke; 08-26-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
DIY staff

You need to answer this first before a price can be given---

Are you doing this yourself? Parts and rental of a jack hammer?

Are you going to hire a bath remodeler to do the work? A licensed plumber?

What country do you live in?--labor varies from place to place.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rather than pictures, a scale drawing of the floor plan (including surrounding rooms) might be more helpful here.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

We will be doing most of the demolition ourselves. We will hire a plumber. We will do the painting, flooring, and cabinets ourselves. I will try to create a scale drawing.

I just wanted to know if paying someone to use a jackhammer to put new shower plumbing in was an exorbitant amount before we start designing it. Just an estimate in Oklahoma. Thanks,
Old 08-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
DIY staff

A couple of calls to some local plumbers will help you---they should be able to give you a rough idea based on the number of openings (fixtures with drains and water lines) and the cost to open the slab--remove rubble and close the slab.

Without seeing where the drains must be connected or the existing water lines are located--or the materials required (copper or PEX) no one will be able to give you a very useful guess.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #7

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Once your walls are open, a plumber will possibly have an easier time telling you what needs to be opened up as far as concrete goes, at which point you can jump in and do the hard labor yourself to save some money...