Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #1

Share |

Massachusetts Plumbing Rules

In Massachusetts, what is the maximum (critical) distance between a lavatory trap and vent. The trap arm is 1.5" PVC. The trap is 1.25". The trap arm slope is standard.

I spent about an hour with the Massachusetts plumbing code last night and was unable to find an answer. What would be really awesome is if someone could hook me up with a code reference.

flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

The answer (in my area) is 3.5 feet. I'm pretty sure it's standard based on the diameter of the pipe. I'd wait for someone else from your area to chime in to be sure, but here's a diagram that will help explain the reasoning for you.

http://www.homerepairforum.com/image...ength_w550.JPG

I'm pretty sure that the formula used there isn't correct though.

You should be able to find the answer in your book under the "traps and interceptors" section

Last edited by Alan; 04-24-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The answer (in my area) is 3.5 feet. I'm pretty sure it's standard based on the diameter of the pipe. I'd wait for someone else from your area to chime in to be sure, but here's a diagram that will help explain the reasoning for you.

http://www.homerepairforum.com/image...ength_w550.JPG
same here in my area ..as alan said pretty sure its based on pipe size
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

The mass code does have a section for traps but I has unable to find anything in there regrading trap arm distance.

Looking at general (not state specific) info, I have seen requirements based on:

1. The pipe diameter (1.5") divided by slope (0.25 inch/ft). This results in a 6 foot maximum run. This is what is shown in the link provided by Alan. If I understand correctly, this insures the trap exit is not higher than the top of the vent entry.

2. A smaller "derated" number like the 3.5 feet referenced by Alan. If I understand correctly, this insures the trap exit plus some extra water depth is not higher than the top of the vent entry.

I guess I still do not know the massachusettes code requirement. Anyone know what is accepted in MA residences ?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
The mass code does have a section for traps but I has unable to find anything in there regrading trap arm distance.

Looking at general (not state specific) info, I have seen requirements based on:

1. The pipe diameter (1.5") divided by slope (0.25 inch/ft). This results in a 6 foot maximum run. This is what is shown in the link provided by Alan. If I understand correctly, this insures the trap exit is not higher than the top of the vent entry.

2. A smaller "derated" number like the 3.5 feet referenced by Alan. If I understand correctly, this insures the trap exit plus some extra water depth is not higher than the top of the vent entry.

I guess I still do not know the massachusettes code requirement. Anyone know what is accepted in MA residences ?
you call local authorites see who handles plumbing inspections.....ask....... then you will know
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
Is it by chance chapter 10?

They are listed in a table in my book, not text. Table 10-1
Old 04-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #7

Actually, I started with my local building department. Unfortunately, I did not get past the receptionist. Apparently in ma only a licensed plumber can pull a permit so the inspectors do not really deal with homeowners. I got the distinct impression that they were not happy to hear from someone outside the trades.

I probably do not have any choice but to hire a plumber if I want the work done but it would help to understand what I am in for. If the job involves ripping out the exiting trap arm up to the vent, I might just skip it and stay with what I have.

The Following User Says Thank You to flyboy For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-25-2012)