Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #1

Share |

Mansfield Toilet

I have a Mansfield Toilet, tank #160, only about 5 years old. About a month ago, the toilet started running for 3-4 seconds, every few hours. After some research I replaced the red flush valve seal an the bottom of the flush valve "tower". After just a short time the same problem persisted. To confirm water wasn't leaking from somewhere else, I put red dye in the tank and withing an hour the water in the bowl was red. So, I changed the entire Mansfield flush valve...still didn't fix the problem, same issue. I then went out and bought a Fluidmaster 400AKR toilet repair kit and changed out all of the guts. An hour later and the tank is still intermittantly(sp?) filling. Does anyone have any idea why this tank is still leaking. I'm real close to replacing the toilet to avoid anymore headaches. These aren't difficult repairs, but after tearing the same toilet apart three times it's getting old!

BOOTHA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #2

Mansfield Toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTHA06 View Post
I have a Mansfield Toilet, tank #160, only about 5 years old. About a month ago, the toilet started running for 3-4 seconds, every few hours. After some research I replaced the red flush valve seal an the bottom of the flush valve "tower". After just a short time the same problem persisted. To confirm water wasn't leaking from somewhere else, I put red dye in the tank and withing an hour the water in the bowl was red. So, I changed the entire Mansfield flush valve...still didn't fix the problem, same issue. I then went out and bought a Fluidmaster 400AKR toilet repair kit and changed out all of the guts. An hour later and the tank is still intermittantly(sp?) filling. Does anyone have any idea why this tank is still leaking. I'm real close to replacing the toilet to avoid anymore headaches. These aren't difficult repairs, but after tearing the same toilet apart three times it's getting old!
I know what you mean....pia...sometimes when you change flappers it takes 3-4 flushes for new flapper to seat....put alittle vaseoline on flapper try it for a day see if it works.....I really don't like mansfield toilets...but you should still be able to repair them...ben sr

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
BOOTHA06 (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Mansfield Toilet

Pull the flapper mechanism back off again. Run your finger around the plastic opening in the bottom of the tank where the rubber ring "seats" when it's in the closed position. Hopefully it doesn't have a nick in it, sometimes they just get crud built up on them, and if you can feel it you can usually clean them off with your fingernail.

Do you by chance have any of those toiletbowl cleaners in the tank?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #4

Mansfield Toilet

I didn't feel any nicks or imperfections and there are no toilet bowl cleaners in the tank. However, I am now confident that it's not the flapper leaking beause I emptied the tank below that level and the green dye I added continued to show up in the bowl and the water level is still decreasing.
BOOTHA06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Mansfield Toilet

How far is the bowl primer tube (the black tube attached to the fill valve) shoved into the overflow tube?

If you have it shoved in there beyond the water level of the tank, it will siphon water from the tank and dump it into the bowl.

Tags
flush valve, mansfield, toilet