Mansfield Frost Free - Drip After Rebuilding - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Mansfield Frost Free - Drip After Rebuilding

Hello! I have three Mansfield 500 series frost free faucets on the outside of the house I bought about a year ago. All three leaked around the handle when running, which wasn't a big deal until I installed a drip irrigation system this spring. I can't run on a timer, because the faucets have to be left on constantly and would leak too much water.

After a little research, I determined that the packing washers were probably to blame. So, I watched a few YouTube videos on rebuilding my faucets and headed to Menards to buy the appropriate rebuild kit.

Once I got the stem out, I figured why not replace the rest of the parts too (o ring, backflow washer, seat washer/screw)? They were in the rebuild kit, so it seemed like a no brainer.

Got everything back together on the first faucet. Turned on the water and the leak around the handle was gone. Kinked a hose to put the faucet under pressure, still good. Turned the faucet off, took the hose off. Job well done! Or so I thought..... until I noticed the faucet now dripped. Didn't do that before... darn!

Tried another faucet - same result. Fixed the handle leak, now have a slow drip. Tried putting the old seat washer back in, still dripping.

There was no dripping prior to this. The only thing I can think of while at work today is that maybe the seat screw is too tight and distorting the washers - I did tighten it down pretty good.

Any thoughts on what I did wrong? Anything to troubleshoot? I'm usually relatively handy, but plumbing always seems to be my Waterloo.

Advertisement

TWG1572 is offline   Reply With Quote