Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

Man...I need to vent!!

Hello all;

I have a question regarding the proper way to ventilate a water holding tank for a gravity fed water system. Whenever my shallow well pump kicks on and starts to suck in water, my holding tank gets a lot of air built up inside and makes the water stop flowing into the tank. If this happens enough times, I wind up getting air inside my water line coming from the spring and I have to detach the line and let the air out.

Thanking you kindly!

FiguringOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

Man...I need to vent!!

I don't know of a potable water vent---one must be made---a plumber will be along soon--

Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #3

Man...I need to vent!!

Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with. The line coming from the spring in a 1" poly pipe and the water is gravity fed.
Attached Thumbnails
Man...I need to vent!!-img_0415.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

Man...I need to vent!!

Am I understanding the picture correctly that the gravity part of the system is the water that comes from the spring to fill the tanks. The pump pictured pulls from the tanks and pressurizes the well tank (blue tank) and this pressurized water is then delivered to the house.

Is this right?
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #5

Man...I need to vent!!

Yes, sir. You nailed it. That blue tank is a replacement tank from an old 80 gallon one that had been there since 1976. At any rate, it's only 1/2 the size of the older unit and after we had installed it, we had to adjust the pressure setting on the pump so we could get adequate water pressure through out the house. On the older well tank we didn't have to do that. So, w/ that shallow well pump working a bit harder than normal and with the addition of a smaller tank, would it somehow cause constant vapor lock (for lack of a better phrase) in the poly pipe coming from the spring?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #6

Man...I need to vent!!

For whatever reason I'm guessing the pump is running a longer cycle than it used to OR it's moving a larger volume of water quicker than it used to. This "might be" causing the two reservoir tanks to be sucked into a vacuum OR the supply at the spring is not enough to keep the beginning end of the poly from sucking in air. As the poly is delivering via gravity, if it gets a large enough air bubble in it the possibility of it stopping the flow exists. Just thinking and typing at the same time.

From your description and the pictures I thinking maybe a Studer Vent on the reservoir tanks on the suction side of the pump. They're made as air inlets for sewer/drain lines but "might" work in this application.

You need to find where the air is getting in first and see if there isn't some modification that can be done at that point to eliminate the air issue.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #7

Man...I need to vent!!

When you use water out of the gravity feeding tank, air (makeup air) must enter that tank.

When the pump comes on to replenish the gravity feeding tank, the air must have a way out.

You must have a two way air free flow. You don't want to prevent the air from getting in in the first place; that will cause the gravity flow to stop. A free flow air vent for a potable water system can be tricky.

The alternative is to convert the entire system to pressurized. Your pump may or may not be appropriate for a standard well and pressure tank system with no gravity feed.

You can have as many pressure tanks as you wish in a pressurized system. Non bladder tanks (such as your gravity tanks repurposed as pressure tanks) will work fine with two restrictions:

1. Given the normal pressure span between pump turn on and pump turn off, approximately half (or maybe a little less) of each tank will hold water and the other half will hold an air cushion. This will result in reduced capacity compared with the gravity system, if the original problem was the need to pump and store water during non-peak times from a slow well.

2. Non-bladder tanks will need periodic replenishing of the air cushion. If too much air is put in, the tank will rebalance itself over a few pump cycles although this will result in some air spitting through faucets.

Note that a combination gravity (followed by) pressurized system requires two pumps, one to refill the gravity tanks and one to maintain the pressure in the pressurized second half.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-30-2014 at 07:01 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #8

Man...I need to vent!!

3. Preset the bladder tank(s) in the usual fashion after depressurizing the system. The maximum in-out of the non-bladder tank(s) before pump restart is had if those tanks are preset to the same approx. 3 PSI below pump turn on pressure. Do this after closing all of the faucets and before turning the pump back on.

Reason for edit: Exceeded the 30 minute forum editing limit.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-30-2014 at 07:14 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #9

Man...I need to vent!!

Interesting set up. Normally here we have the well feed an open water storage tank with a ball cock shutoff. Then a different pump from it to the house after going through the chlorination.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 PM   #10

Man...I need to vent!!

Oh wow! Thank you so very much for the replies and some much needed insight here regarding this situation!!

This problem has only surfaced after we put in a smaller pressure tank and adjusted the pump pressure. The old tank isn't a bladder type (it's glass lined w/ a float I believe) and I'm almost tempted to hook that back up and set the pump back to its stock settings to see if that doesn't cure up this air problem. Also, when I leave one of the tank caps a little loose (just enough for air to slowly bleed out) it doesn't seem to disrupt water flow coming from the spring. I wonder if there's a vent or an automatic air bleeding valve that would allow the air to escape and stop when the rising spring water hits a certain point in the tank? Would that fix it? Or Should I just bite the bullet and go back to the old set up w/ an 80 gallon tank?

I thank you knowledgeable people for helping this newbie out! CHEERS!!