Main Water Valve In Condo Shut Off, But Neighbors Can Still Hear Water Running Through Pipes. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Main water valve in condo shut off, but neighbors can still hear water running through pipes.

My condo has been unoccupied for nearly a year, and for that year, the main water valve has been shut off. Yesterday, the home owner's association had to do maintenance and shut off the water to the entire building. Several hours after the water was turned back on, my neighbors claimed they could hear water running through the pipes above them. However, there is currently no leak they are aware of. Should I be concerned and if so what could be the cause?

Note:
1) My main water valve was never turned back on. It has remained off throughout the whole process.
2) There are several condos that are intertwined throughout our building, and it is likely that they could be hearing someone else's pipes. However, it is strange that they are suddenly hearing water running after hearing nothing for almost a year.

Advertisement

Last edited by cookiebird87; 12-01-2010 at 03:13 PM.
cookiebird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Main water valve in condo shut off, but neighbors can still hear water running through pipes.

Do you have your own water meter? That is the first thing you could look at and see if any water is going through it. But as a service plumber, I will tell you I have had many calls where people were sure water was running or dripping because of what they "heard". and it turned out to be nothing.

Advertisement

broox is offline   Reply With Quote