Main Water Supply Will Not Shut Off.... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Main water supply will not shut off....

Hello,

I'm trying to repair a leaking shower faucet which requires shutting off the whole house water supply. However, the water main at the street will NOT turn off even using the standard "T" wrench. I'm afraid I will break it off as the wrench rebar/body starts to twist & bend under turning pressure. I've tried WD-40 and other penetrants which of course didn't help. A good thing otherwise the water could routinely become contaminated if something like that had seeped through. The water company tells me that they and they ONLY can turn it off. There IS no homeowner's shut-off valve ANYWHERE in the yard between the street & house, under the house or on the front wall of the house.

Any suggestions on "secrets" to turning off the shut-off valve? If not, how much should the average plumber charge for a ball valve installation on the homeowner's side of the meter given that it seems that may be my only choice. I can't WAIT to attempt coordinating a plumber's schedule with a city water department's "priorities". Like herding cats.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Chrisxx

Advertisement

chrisxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,312

Some meters have the shut off built in---where is your meter? Picture?

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

oh, mike,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I'm in north-central MS. The meter is at the street and it's shut-off valve is clearly existing on the same main water pipe less than a foot away from the meter.
chrisxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Around here we have two valves, one on the city side and one on the customer side. If one doesn't work, the other usually does.

I have heard of places that have so much incoming pressure that it's impossibly to turn off without a much much larger t-handle wrench. Not sure if this is the case where you are or not. If it is, there should be a pressure regulator somewhere with a shutoff valve that will allow servicing of the regulator.

What kind of piping from the meter to your house? This greatly affects the cost of installing a shutoff valve.