Main Water Line, Meter To House - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
ckc
Chris

Rewards Points: 10

Main water line, meter to house

Hi, I need to replace my main going into the house from the meter. I will be using 60 ft of 3/4 poly line as that is what is there now. I have patched it but the line has busted three times in the last 5 years so this time is replacement.

I do not want to dig tru my yard and I have heard of pulling the new line in as you pull the old one out.

Dig a hole at the meter and one at the house disconnect both and with a nipple inserted into the old line at the house, then the new line (thus connecting them) and drill tru the line and nipple and place two bolts in each side. (pluging the new line first) Then using a wench or a tractor/ truck pull the old line out and at same time the new line in. Also maybe using sopy water as lube?

Any ideas as to if this will work or suggestions??
Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by ckc; 09-19-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: adding
ckc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,620

Hmmm, I've never pulled on the pipe itself.
I fed a 3/8" cable down the old line, attached it to the new pipe in the ditch and then pulled the cable back. this way you don't stretch the pipe.

Advertisement

plummen (09-23-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I suspect your problem to begin with is that your line is not buried deep enough and got frozen and burst 3 times in the last 5 years, pls let me know if I'm wrong. Please complete your profile with your location name for everybody to see.
Pirulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Old Poly lines fail quite frequently here, and we never hit freezing temp for more than a day or two each year at the most, if at all. When they get old they fail.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
ckc
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirulo View Post
I suspect your problem to begin with is that your line is not buried deep enough and got frozen and burst 3 times in the last 5 years, pls let me know if I'm wrong. Please complete your profile with your location name for everybody to see.

It is 18 + inches deep. Never had it burst in winter thank goodness. I think its just because its 30 year old pipe.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,630

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckc View Post
Hi, I need to replace my main going into the house from the meter. I will be using 60 ft of 3/4 poly line as that is what is there now. I have patched it but the line has busted three times in the last 5 years so this time is replacement.

I do not want to dig tru my yard and I have heard of pulling the new line in as you pull the old one out.

Dig a hole at the meter and one at the house disconnect both and with a nipple inserted into the old line at the house, then the new line (thus connecting them) and drill tru the line and nipple and place two bolts in each side. (pluging the new line first) Then using a wench or a tractor/ truck pull the old line out and at same time the new line in. Also maybe using sopy water as lube?

Any ideas as to if this will work or suggestions??
Thanks
That's a fairly common practice but there is a couple of things that may work against you. 1) the bolts are going to create a lot of unwanted resistance and 2) will the old pipe stand the stress if it has been failing from normal use.

You might consider researching - pipe pulling - and or - pipe pulling sleeves - that are made for that type of work.

I've linked just one example but possibly one of your local plumbing suppliers has more contacts you could consider.

http://www.hammerheadtrenchless.com/...6-3f61d138fcba
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

Those pipe pullers seems to be very helpful and appropriate for this use. I'd be concerned about the volume of the 3 patchs (or who know how many more where done before you) that you will try to squeeze through the nominal diameter of the original pipe. If you just pull from the old pipe, I'm afraid it can actually break at one of the weak spots or at one of the patches, and then you finish with a partial pipe buried into the ground and then yes you'll have to dig big time.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Those pipe pullers seems to be very helpful and appropriate for this use. I'd be concerned about the volume of the 3 patchs (or who know how many more where done before you) that you will try to squeeze through the nominal diameter of the original pipe. If you just pull from the old pipe, I'm afraid it can actually break at one of the weak spots or at one of the patches, and then you finish with a partial pipe buried into the ground and then yes you'll have to dig big time.
Rest easy-- that is not a concern when pulling pipe.
Last one I did was a new 3/4" soft K copper. We were replacing a 3/4" galvanized pipe. Pulled 60 ft in, hooked up and operating, including digging pits 5' deep in less then 1/2 day.
plummen (09-23-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,542

yep it can be done and has been done...we pulled 75' of 3/4 galvanized out with 3/4 copper in behind it....worked like a charm....no digging..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (09-23-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
ckc
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
yep it can be done and has been done...we pulled 75' of 3/4 galvanized out with 3/4 copper in behind it....worked like a charm....no digging..
This in not galvanized but poly old and new.
Do not know specs of old pipe.

TypeSIDR 9
Max PSI Rating (PSI)160.0
Code ApprovalsNSF 14/61, ASTM D2239
Old 09-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckc View Post
This in not galvanized but poly old and new.
Do not know specs of old pipe.

TypeSIDR 9
Max PSI Rating (PSI)160.0
Code ApprovalsNSF 14/61, ASTM D2239
never did plastic pull.. but can't see why it would not work ..should not be that much friction on pipe...unless old pipe is in too bad of shape that it splits..either case you will be digging......so start pulling see what happens ..best wishes...
Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
never did plastic pull.. but can't see why it would not work ..should not be that much friction on pipe...unless old pipe is in too bad of shape that it splits..either case you will be digging......so start pulling see what happens ..best wishes...
Ben, the method I'm familiar with should work on any pipe. I used a cable to pull with, and the old pipe was removed as the new pipe was pulled into place.
The new poly should be 200psi IPS size- that's standard, required schedule here. It should work just fine. I'd try it in a heart beat
Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Ben, the method I'm familiar with should work on any pipe. I used a cable to pull with, and the old pipe was removed as the new pipe was pulled into place.
The new poly should be 200psi IPS size- that's standard, required schedule here. It should work just fine. I'd try it in a heart beat
yes we use a cable also..we also have used a drive from inside out on short lines....his concern is not knowing the rating on his old line...100 psi,160psi .. I just never pulled plastic pipe...always copper pull ..or insert....
Old 09-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
ckc
Chris

This was a total fail. The old line snapped as did the cable. Cable was probably too small but the line did not move an inch. Dug it out the old fashion way. Thanks for the encouragement and all.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #15

I was right!
How deep was the line buried and how much time took to dig it out with how many people digging and how many patches were there and how bad was the old one?

Quote:

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Pirulo For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-28-2012)