Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Main Water Drain

The main water pipe for my house in the middle of a room I'm finishing in the basement. It's about 6" to 10" in diameter (can't measure it at the moment).

I'd like to move it-or more accurately, have a professional move it. My question is: Can this actually be done? It goes from above the celing (under the floor of the upstairs) down into the cement, so I have no idea what's down there.

The Airconditioner/ Heater/ Waterheater room is only two feet away, Id like it in there out-of-the-way.

The house was built in 1961. Is there such a thing as a load-bearing water-pipe? It's just an extremely weird placement of it.

Can or can't this be done? If not, why not? Is so, what are the possible problems and how much would something like this cost? I can manage simple plumbing, but this chore I wouldn't trust to myself.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!! This is the last little problem before I'm done repairing my first home

KJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

Main Water Drain

Quote:
Can this actually be done?
Yes

Quote:
It goes from above the celing (under the floor of the upstairs) down into the cement, so I have no idea what's down there.
The pipe would have to be traced to see which direction it goes...obviously if it goes away from the room you want it in, this becomes much less feasible. Not impossible, mind you, but less feasible/more costly.

Quote:
Is there such a thing as a load-bearing water-pipe?
For your sake, I hope not. I can say that normally there is absolutely NO such thing as a load-bearing water pipe. If you find it is, have that remedied before deciding your next step.

Quote:
It's just an extremely weird placement of it.
That could have, at one time, been the outside wall. An addition may have "pushed" it into the middle of nowhere at a later date.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote