Main Vent Stack Moving / Resizing / Removing (///AG) - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via MSN to SFX Group Send a message via Skype™ to SFX Group

Main vent stack moving / resizing / removing (///AG)

Hi

Open question here....

1950's house, has 4inch cast pipe from the basement to the roof, has ground toilet, sink, bath + kitchen sink in to it, then basement has sink (all original), none of the above are vented.

So i'm thinking of taking this stack out, running a 3inch PVC that would handle all the above then taking the 3" down the wall to the main 4inch under the basement floor, this means this (now old) 4" cast pipe out of the basement floor will no longer be in use, which goes to the roof.

Do i still need a "vent" on the main stack (which would now be 3" PVC) even though everything else has its own vent for each fitment?

If i do still need a "main" stack vent can i reduce that to a 2inch and run it to the roof in a nice fashion not taking it through a load of rooms (yes the ground floor and the 1 room in the loft (was done from new) has this 4inch cast pipe running though it about 6inches from the wall), this is the reason i want to move it OR at best move the vent to a new location.

As there will be a PVC 3" in the basement running to the main line (well the line comming under the house at least) nothing will be running in to this pipe from basement up, meaning it really is just a pure vent only (if its needed at all)...

inputs please, i can draw pictures if needed which i think might be an idea anyway!.
This poses a question, do i still need a "main" stack that would be 3" PVC to the roof or will all the vents from the sink, bath, toilet, kitchen sink all be ok

Did a picture to help (brown is iron, 4" (continues out the top to the stack), copper is 2")

Advertisement

Copyright 2011 - www.ashleygriffin.ca

Last edited by SFX Group; 11-14-2010 at 11:43 PM.
SFX Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #2

Possible new layout, all white is 3", all grey is 2", the assumptoin below is all items have a vent, therefor no main stack vent needed... ?

Advertisement

Last edited by SFX Group; 11-15-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

whats venting the toilet?
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
whats venting the toilet?
I assume you mean the new 3" PVC, if so will be a vent (on both) as it leaves the toilet itself (same as the sinks, bath and shower).

The orginal one doesnt have a vent so to speak, straight from the bowl to the 4inch main outlet at the moment (as it was put in 50 years ago)

Old 11-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX Group View Post
I assume you mean the new 3" PVC, if so will be a vent (on both) as it leaves the toilet itself (same as the sinks, bath and shower).

The orginal one doesnt have a vent so to speak, straight from the bowl to the 4inch main outlet at the moment (as it was put in 50 years ago)
actually the 4" pipe that extends thru the roof is venting the toilet. you'll need to have a vent for it, but in my code it doesn't need to be larger than 2" pipe
Old 11-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #6

Quote:
actually the 4" pipe that extends thru the roof is venting the toilet. you'll need to have a vent for it, but in my code it doesn't need to be larger than 2" pipe
To confirm here, its fine then to not have a main stack vent (as it was 50 years ago) as long as every fixture has a vent of its own (all sinks, bath, shower and both toilets?

Am i going to be able to vent them all to one 2" pipe (connect them all together meaning only one 2" pipe comming through the roof somewhere)?

Or will i need to up the vent pipe size from 2" to 2.5" somewhere around the upper 2nd toilet?

Assuming the above is ok, will post a pic at some point of the proposed layout (will take a while to complete the design though)

Old 11-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #7

the size of the vent depends on the fixtures. Each fixture is assigned a fixture unit in the code book, so what you have tells you what you need. Length of the vents are also taken into account, in my code no more than 1/3 of the total length can be horizontal without upsizing the vent size. Normally, you can count on a 2" vent for each bathroom group, and 1.5" vent on the kitchen sink. If you do it all in one vent like you have existing, you'll probably be at 2.5" which is normally upsized to 3". Just curious, why are you changing it? Normally vent lines are in great shape since no water flows thru it, and as they say.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Just curious, why are you changing it?
1950's house, there are no vents...

Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX Group View Post
1950's house, there are no vents...
I saw that.... you're changing the one vent you do have. if it were me, i'd add vents to the fixtures that don't have em, and then tie back into the 4" in the attic space before they push thru the roof. unless the 4" cast is in the way I would probably leave it alone. But that's just me.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #10

Quote:
I saw that.... you're changing the one vent you do have. if it were me, i'd add vents to the fixtures that don't have em, and then tie back into the 4" in the attic space before they push thru the roof. unless the 4" cast is in the way I would probably leave it alone. But that's just me.

The main iron 4" pipe will be totally removed, this means whole new 3" PVC down to under the basement), this new 3" PVC will not be vented through the roof, rather all fixtures will be vented another way in another directions.

The 4" iron is in the way, its a pain, the main question was can i run a 3" PVC all the way and terminate at a toilet but making sure all fixtures are vented to a common pipe somewhere else rather than have a 4" iron in the middle of the house.

The above also includes a toilet as a fixture when i say venting.

Last edited by SFX Group; 11-15-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 PM   #11

yea there isn't any advantage to a single 4" vent that you won't get with individual vents. theres a company in my town that pushes each vent individually thru the roof. probably pisses the roofers off a lot
Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #12

Quote:
yea there isn't any advantage to a single 4" vent that you won't get with individual vents. theres a company in my town that pushes each vent individually thru the roof. probably pisses the roofers off a lot
If i am correct, the only reason they (builders of old) only used the main 4" as a vent was the bathroom and anything that used water was close enough to get away with this idea.

In the UK and Europe only new builds (past 10 years) have vents on fixtures, anything before this never did, but then all bathrooms where next to the main 4" pipe (which is still iron), however the kitchen never was and had a fair long run.

Thanks for the input, it will make it easier to design meaning i wont need to run a huge pipe through a bunch of rooms...

Advertisement