DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   main shut off water valve (

dragons73 12-18-2010 09:19 AM

main shut off water valve
I'm looking for my main shut off water valve. The meter is only a meter and I can't tell where the water comes into the house. I live in a house that is about 5 years old and in a gated neighborhood...not sure if that makes a difference.

1910NE 12-18-2010 09:44 AM

trace the supply line back from your hot water heater. at some point there will be a branch which goes to your other cold water fixtures. that should be pretty close to where the supply enters the house. if there is no shut off valve at that point, then it must be outside. if thats the case, there should be some kind of access cover near the water meter.

Work4living 12-18-2010 12:46 PM

Usually the water meter is located on the front side of the house. along the foundation wall. If your basement is finished that makes tracing water lines harder. Lokk in your mechanical room. Under you staircase. or in an unfinished part of the basement. It is possible the meter is outside in a pit. If all else fails call your municipal water dept. and ask them if they could locate your meter for you. Usually this is a free service by them.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1