Main Shut Off Valve Froze At Street - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Main shut off valve froze at street

I'm working on a vacant house (been vacant 5 years), and the main shut off is froze.I really didn't want to get the water turned on from the water co. yet because i'm still 6 mos away from moving in and don't want to pay sewer and trash when I don't live there. I have the correct tool that goes about 3-4 feet down to the street valve,but the street valve is frozen. The cap was rusted and no longer stays on and there is mud down the hole,i'm gussing there is no way to get it turned on short of having the water co. install a new valve? Any suggestions.

Advertisement

bansheex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 42

Why are you trying to turn the water on at the street? Is that legal? They will arrest you for theft of services if they catch you diong that. As far as the stuck valve goes, that's the municipality's problem.

Advertisement

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

If you are trying to turn the water on to test your system--call the water department------
They may be nice and turn it on for a few hours----

Air pressure testing is the accepted method.

However if you are hoping to steal a little water--don't do it. They could claim the water has been on since the last billing and charge you 5 years worth of sewer and garbage.

Get these folks mad and they might not turn you on when the project is done,---Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #4

I wasn't trying to steal service,just wanted to see if the main line is in one piece so I could work on other areas of the house. I don't want to have it turned on right before I move in and have to scramble to get a main line fixed. I had planned on turning it on at the street but leaving the main (basement) valve off and see if there was any moisture in the yard,then running about 5-10 gallons through to make sure there was no dirt in the line and I had pressure at the house,then turn it back off until I was ready to move in and have the water co. start service. If they turn it off and on for free,I'll just get it turned on for a day or two then have it shut back off until I move in. I'd think it would be cheaper on them If I just turned it on to make sure it didn't leak rather than sending someone to turn it on then off,but if thats not allowed I'll make them come out.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Just another point, if you break the valve, you will get billed for repairs.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
DIY staff

Bansheeks---Just call (or better yet -visit) the water dept.--Most have some decent people ----

Tell them what you need,They will usually be very helpful--

If you are as smart as I think you are,Hide the Buffalo box key,and don't mention that you tried to turn the valve.

Good luck--If they turn you on --Check out the drains,too.--Mike--
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Not sure what your set-up is. Many areas have a valve located at the inlet side of the water meter that can be locked. You may be able to talk the water company into turning on the main valve if it can be locked out before the meter. The valve at the street is owned by the water company and you will be charged for repairs should you break it. It always pays to contact them before causing a problem.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #8

They are comming out in the morning to turn it on. They will turn it on then back off but its $25 ever time.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

$25 sounds pretty cheap for some peace of mind. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
DIY staff

Glad to hear you were successful. $25.00 sounds reasonable---Check out the drains and all systems--

God Luck--Have fun---It'll be great to have this old place back to working!!-Mike-
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Good luck

$25.00 is reasonable - very cool that they're willing to work with you. My company is not so nice or cheap.

In the meantime - while you're working and when you don't want to call the company you can get a kiddie swimming pool or a few 60gallon storage containers - something big like that and fill it with water from the hose when the water's on - so when you're doing plumbing and need to check for leaks and so on you'll have water on hand without having to wait for their arrival or pay routinely.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,046

What's the difference when it's turned on? Most water is metered so have them turn it on and keep the main valve inside the house off and explain to the water company what you are doing maybe they will charge you a minimal monthly fee until you are on all the time or maybe they will even wave the fee. It sure is worth it to have water while your preparing the house for move in. DON'T mess with the valve.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,048

Some water companies will not turn it on until you set up a standard account that has a minimum monthly fee. In some cities you have to set up a sewer assessment account at the same time.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Around here there is a base fee of $6/month regardless of wether any water was used or not.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
Around here there is a base fee of $6/month regardless of wether any water was used or not.
thats cheaper than the 25 service call, whats the wait for

Advertisement