Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

from main pipes to water softner

Hi again :

Need to install a water softener to the mains (whole house water system) basically i need to run the main line to the softener and then out back to the regular pipes connected to the house ... Question : This i believe is my main water in : What is the green and blue valve colors all about and whats the gadget at the top there by the duct with the blue handle ? .. the blue tap runs outside the house to the front garden so i don't believe i need to soften it.

xclaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #2

Although there is a uniform color code for buried line flagging, it isn't applicable in your situation. From what I see in the pics you have two water valves and a pressure regulator.

http://www2.apwa.net/documents/About...ll/COLORCC.PDF

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
xclaim (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #3

There's no significance I know of to the colors of the valve handwheels. Probably just what the plumber had in his truck. But if I were you, I'd replace both valves with full port ball valves. They have much less flow resistance and thus provide greater flow. Being just 1/4-turn valves, they're also quicker and easier to open or close.

The "gadget" in your middle picture is a pressure regulator.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
xclaim (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #4

wow --- thanks guys-

pressure regulator - what is that ? - would you know if i need to run pipes to water softener before or after pressure regulator ... can pressure regulator be removed and/or can i crank it and increase pressure to my water in house ? it sounds important !
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Retired Army Veteran

That big brass valve with the adjusting screw on it, is a pressure reducing valve. The green colored handle may indicate the quality of the valve. Sometimes plumbers use differrent colored valves to distinguish between hot and cold water or whatever they have on hand at the time. They all do the same basic thing. Some are used for certain applications and are of a better quality or tested at a higher standard that's about it. You can't really rely on the color of the handle as they are easily interchangeable.

Last edited by jmon; 08-28-2013 at 09:05 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
xclaim (10-02-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclaim View Post
wow --- thanks guys-

pressure regulator - what is that ? - would you know if i need to run pipes to water softener before or after pressure regulator ... can pressure regulator be removed and/or can i crank it and increase pressure to my water in house ? it sounds important !
It is important. I wouldn't remove it, it's there for a reason. You can adjust it. If adjusting doesn't work, it may have to be replaced or rebuilt. Your city has high water pressure and that prv reduces the pressure so your plumbing doesn't break down. IE, supply shut off valves, toliets, washers, dishwashers, pipes, etc.

Are you having problems with your water pressure?

Typical house averages between 50-60psi water pressure which can be tested at any hose bib or faucet in the house.

You have to connect the softener after the pressure reducing valve. Otherwise you could risk damaging your water softener. Reccommend you check the installation manual of softener, and follow the maufacturers installation instructions. Some may have their own water pressure reducers as an option, I don't know. The reason you have a reducing valve is because your pressure must be exceeding 80 PSI. It should be between 50 - 60 PSI. I would check that first.

Last edited by jmon; 08-29-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more info
xclaim (10-02-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #7

Jomn is correct prv is there to reduce the street pressure of the water before it enters your system. Plumb your softenr after the prv, as far as the valves there gate valves different color handle doesnt mean anything they are the same..
Peppe1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peppe1019 For This Useful Post:
xclaim (10-02-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #8

I'll throw in my .05 here (no more pennies in Canada). The green handle is a whole house shut off, and the blue handle is an interior shut off for a hose bib. Do you have a hose bib on that wall on the outside?
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
xclaim (10-02-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
I'll throw in my .05 here (no more pennies in Canada). The green handle is a whole house shut off, and the blue handle is an interior shut off for a hose bib. Do you have a hose bib on that wall on the outside?
Wish we would get rid of them here in the US as well. It actually costs more than a penny to make a penny.

Yea that makes sense, as it's the first main water shutoff valve coming into the house. Yea, I believe he said in first post, the pipe with the blue gate valve on it runs outside to his garden. I don't see a city water meter either, must be out of the picture frame.

Last edited by jmon; 08-29-2013 at 07:21 AM.
xclaim (10-02-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #10

By all means don't run softened water to the garden. It is not at all good for plants. If you keep house plants you may want to consider an indoor spigot on that line.
xclaim (10-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #11

Great info all - i will run the water to the softener after the pressure valve.

thank you thank you thank you. you guys are great.

Tags
main line, water softner