Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1

Share |

Macerating toilet info

I'm looking to install a bathroom in my basement, which has the waste pipe approximately 4 inches above the slab.

I'm looking to find out if I'd be able to use a macerating toilet with a rear discharge, without using a pump. My plan is to have the pipe run out of the back of the toilet, into a 45 degree bend sending it down into my waste pipe.

Do macerating pumps provide any type of suction to suck the waste from the toilet, or do they only pump the waste once it's in the macerating unit? I'm hoping that if it only pumps the waste once it's in the tank, that I ca use the toilet without the tank.

Thanks!

alexlacelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #2

Macerating toilet info

are you on town sewer or a septic system? this answer helps to determine yes or no ....

first a macerating toilet is one that grinds solids into minute particles. I am not familiar with one that creates a negative pressure (suction).

if sewer then YES, but why do you need a macerating toilet if you can run the piping down to the waste pipe, maybe I'm missing something.

if septic then NO. you would need an effluent pump (with a storage tank) so that the solids would be pumped to the septic tank where solids and liquids separate. if you macerate the solids in the toilet and then they run into the septic tank you will shorten the lifespan of your septic system as these small ground up solids would end up in the septic field.

don't forget about venting of fixtures for a bath

hope this helps.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"

Last edited by GBrackins; 09-26-2012 at 05:49 PM.
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #3

Macerating toilet info

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
are you on town sewer or a septic system? this answer helps to determine yes or no ....

first a macerating toilet is one that grinds solids into minute particles. I am not familiar with one that creates a negative pressure (suction).

if sewer then YES, but why do you need a macerating toilet if you can run the piping down to the waste pipe, maybe I'm missing something.

if septic then NO. you would need an effluent pump (with a storage tank) so that the solids would be pumped to the septic tank where solids and liquids separate. if you macerate the solids in the toilet and then they run into the septic tank you will shorten the lifespan of your septic system as these small ground up solids would end up in the septic field.

don't forget about venting of fixtures for a bath

hope this helps.
Gary. Thanks for the info. I am on a city sewer system. I cannot go down into my waste pipe unless I build my floor up substantially as my pipe is above ground. This is why I am looking to install a rear discharge toilet in front of the pipe, with a 45 behind the toilet shooting down. The fact that it is a macerating toilet is irrelevant really. They're the ones with the highest rear outlet which is why I'd like to use one of them. I've attached a picture of my waste pipe to help. I hope that I'm explaining myself correctly here. I'd really like to get this figured out as soon as possible.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #4

Macerating toilet info

That being said, if anyone has any other idea as to how I can install a toilet to this pipe please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #5

Macerating toilet info

you could install a raised floor system, go with your idea, an effluent pump with chamber, or just bust up the concrete, install your plumbing and replace the concrete hopefully getting a smoother finish than the previous folks did.

if you are planning on a bath (whether 1/2, 3/4 or full) and it was my place, I'd rent a jackhammer and have fun with the concrete, just my thoughts

Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #6

Macerating toilet info

Quote:
you could install a raised floor system, go with your idea, an effluent pump with chamber, or just bust up the concrete, install your plumbing and replace the concrete hopefully getting a smoother finish than the previous folks did.

if you are planning on a bath (whether 1/2, 3/4 or full) and it was my place, I'd rent a jackhammer and have fun with the concrete, just my thoughts
I have no issues with busting up concrete. My concern however is that the above ground pipe connects to a cast iron pipe underground. After it dips underground it appears that the pipe head to the right, and exits the house. I'm not sure how I'd tie into this to install underground plumbing...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #7

Macerating toilet info

that should be your main building sewer line ..... bring in your plumber and have him evaluate it

Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #8

Macerating toilet info

Quote:
that should be your main building sewer line ..... bring in your plumber and have him evaluate it
It is the main line. I had a plumber over today but he couldn't say much about it unless I bust up the concrete. I'd rather not to this only to be told that I can't connect to it. This is why I'm hoping to find out if I can just install a rear discharge toilet slightly above the waste pipe.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #9

Macerating toilet info

don't know why he couldn't tie into it, I'm sure he can adapt to the cast iron. did he scope the pipe? are you finishing the basemen?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #10

Macerating toilet info

Quote:
don't know why he couldn't tie into it, I'm sure he can adapt to the cast iron. did he scope the pipe? are you finishing the basemen?

He did not scope. Yes the plan is to finish the basement.

The part I can't understand is how I could tie into that line while keeping the above ground pipe. The underground part is only 2 inches away from the foundation wall.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #11

Macerating toilet info

what's the patch in the slab from?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #12

Macerating toilet info

Quote:
what's the patch in the slab from?
It goes to an old lead pipe that apparently was from an old toilet. This line is still connected as I can hear water flowing when I put my ear to it. I considered digging this up and replacing it to hook up to the new toilet. Do you think that'd be possible?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Macerating toilet info

My advice : Bust up the slab around the pipe. That pipe is obviously going somewhere, there IS a way to tie into it.

How involved it will be is the unknown. He probably (for obvious reasons) doesn't want to tell you 100% for sure what will need to be done. Hopefully there's room to tie in without doing too much digging, but if you do the digging and cutting and jackhammer work yourself, you will save some money, and you might even decide that you want to cut in the fitting yourself.

What you're wanting to do is eliminate a few simple steps by installing a more complicated device, that will eventually fail, and when it does, it will be more costly to repair and/or replace than a standard toilet.

Don't forget : no matter what you do, the line you add should have a vent, so plan accordingly.
GBrackins (09-26-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #14

Macerating toilet info

great advise Alan .....

if you're planning on finishing your basement I'd do the bath correct from the start. a little sweat and some hard work and you'll be glad you did it right the first time

Old 09-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #15

Macerating toilet info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My advice : Bust up the slab around the pipe. That pipe is obviously going somewhere, there IS a way to tie into it.

How involved it will be is the unknown. He probably (for obvious reasons) doesn't want to tell you 100% for sure what will need to be done. Hopefully there's room to tie in without doing too much digging, but if you do the digging and cutting and jackhammer work yourself, you will save some money, and you might even decide that you want to cut in the fitting yourself.

What you're wanting to do is eliminate a few simple steps by installing a more complicated device, that will eventually fail, and when it does, it will be more costly to repair and/or replace than a standard toilet.

Don't forget : no matter what you do, the line you add should have a vent, so plan accordingly.
I understand what you mean here. Firstly though, I'm really looking to have the toilet where the above ground waste pipe is. This is the best place for it in my preferred design of the basement. This is why I originally considered the rear outlet toilet.

Busting up the slab is an option. I hate however that it limits me in placing the toilet away from the wall with the pipe, and again I worried about not being able to tie into it. If you say that there's a way that's good to know. I should mention that the old pipe sticking out is very rusted inside. Would this cause me a problem at all?