Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #1

Share |

MAAX Shower in California?

I'm getting ready to replace my 36" single-threshold tiled shower -- it was rebuilt about 10 years ago by the previous owner and it's been nothing but headache for me for the last 5 years (leaks, damaged flooring, swelled doorframes, etc.).

Though I love tile, I am THROUGH with leaks and cleaning grout and I decided to put in a modular 3-piece unit -- not as creative I know, but I love the simplicity and practicality of it all. I was all set to go with a Sterling Vikrell unit, then I came across the brand "MAAX" and I think they're so much better-looking.

Problem is, I live in California and I can't find anyone who stocks them. The MAAX website has a list of retailers in my area and I've called them all -- notwithstanding the wrong numbers, none of the retailers listed know anything about MAAX except one, and they only order, they don't have any stock I can look at! Emails to MAAX corporate have gone unanswered (a discouraging sign for sure).

I'm just about ready to forgo MAAX, figuring no one sells them here in Los Angeles and if I did manage to get one, getting help in case of a problem would be difficult. I guess the reason I'm posting is, does anyone else out there have a MAAX shower? Do you recommend it? Anyone in the L.A. area have one? If so, where'd you get it? Are they worth the trouble?

Thanks!

thebigsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #2

Hi,

Let me see if I can find a retailer in L.A area.

Micks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #3

Did you try calling customer care?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 PM   #4

No, but I have emailed -- several times! I'm guessing all they will do is refer me to the retailer list on their website, which I've already been through (and it's full of inaccuracies/duplicate listings/retailers who have never heard of MAAX). I kinda get the impression MAAX is more of a Canada/Eastern USA brand and they have little to no market presence (or apparently even the desire to have market presence) here in Los Angeles (at least for their showers).

To be honest, I'm really unimpressed with the company -- no returned emails, clunky website, inaccurate listings, no online retailers for the shower I'm looking for, etc. -- it's enough to scare me off. I just like the design of the shower itself vs. Sterling and MAAX appears to be respected where they DO sell things . . .

Last edited by thebigsee; 07-27-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #5

Did you try Mega Western Sales in Gardena?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip, but they're a professional building supply, not a retail outlet. They wouldn't bother with lowly little me . . .
Old 08-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #7

Just wanted to give a final update to this post -- I contacted MAAX and got a very nice Quebecois woman on the line who seemed a bit at a loss when I asked her about buying a MAAX shower in California. She did some research and then started reading off names of places in my area -- the same places listed on their website, obviously (which is completely out-of-date). I thanked her and hung up.

Based on the lack of availability/customer support in Southern California, the fact that my 3 emails to MAAX corporate have gone unanswered and other feedback I've received on other forums (Sterling is of higher quality than MAAX), I'm abandoning MAAX and going with Sterling. I hope they do the right thing and change their website to reflect the fact that they have hardly any presence here in the Western U.S.A. So if you are reading this and were like me and interested in buying a MAAX shower in California, don't bother, it's a wild goose chase.

Tags
california, los angeles, maax, shower