LP Gas Lines - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

LP gas Lines

Hi Everyone,
I plan on running LP gas in my new home. My plan is to run 1/2" soft copper inside PVC under the slab and making all connections above ground.
Anyone see a problem with this. It will be for a water heater,and stove. No heat.
Thanks
Billy

Advertisement

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

LP gas Lines

I would check with your loacal Plumbing Code office or gas company. Most gaslines are required to be steel lines after entering the foundation. Since I have seen copper waterlines leak after a period of time, I don't think I would want gas lines leaking.

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

LP gas Lines

I've seen many more galvanized lines leaking then copper lines. That's besides the point though.
Almost everywhere your gas needs to be in black pipe or some form of approved flex which only a licensed installer can use.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

LP gas Lines

Florida was the only place I saw approving galvanized for gas although I now hear about other places. Most gas lines that are underground and are metal, must be welded. I have seen the new plastic and understand that a class must be taken to be licensed to install it.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

LP gas Lines

Galvanized or painted black pipe is what used to be used underground. In NY I think galvanized is still approved although I don't know anyone who has done it recently. The plastic pipe might not be allowed under a slab. Your best bet is to call your local building inspector and inquire.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
I blame ProWallGuy

Rewards Points: 150

LP gas Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Hi Everyone,
I plan on running LP gas in my new home. My plan is to run 1/2" soft copper inside PVC under the slab and making all connections above ground.
Anyone see a problem with this. It will be for a water heater,and stove. No heat.
Thanks
Billy
Bad idea. This violates several model gas codes in several ways, not the least of which is a buried line within the building perimeter. Also, all buried lines run in a sleeve must have the sleeve sealed at both ends and vented at both ends.

This is not a DIY project. Get a licensed professional to run these lines for you. The money you are trying to save is not as great as you think it might be and the lives you save may be your families.

Advertisement

Double A is offline   Reply With Quote