Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Lp Flaring

Hello. I'm in the process of repiping my Lp tank.I want to go from soft copper to black iron.I plan on doing this a piece at a time,as I have the time for it.I will use transition fittings to go from the new black to the 5/8 copper tubing that is there now.I added a gas fireplace two years ago and ran black iron to it so that's done. Yes, I had the LP company inspect before putting it into service.I currently use Lp for the fireplace,water heater,gas grill,stove and dryer.A new branch will now tee off into the garage I'm converting into a mudroom.The 100 gal. Lp tank will sit on a newly built deck right outside the garage wall,and going the other way into the basement might be 50 feet to the farthest. Two questions;1) Is 1/2 pipe ok? and 2) refresh my memory-does'nt the copper have to be double flared? I'm getting mixed answers on this,but I'm pretty sure I did doubles many years ago when I had to add a branch for a dryer. Sorry so long and thanks for your help.

white29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
electrical contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Lp Flaring

I just finished doing my house a few years ago, the longest run is about 40 feet to a clothes dryer, gas company said 1/2 pipe would be good, so I ran a 3/4 just for a little overkill, no troubles so far. As far as the double flaring I do not know if it is required but it sure cant hurt, i did it on mine. I figured if it was okay for auto brake lines it has to be good for LP lines.

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote