Lowering The Drainage Pipe To Accomodate New 10" Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

lowering the drainage pipe to accomodate new 10" sink

I am going to get a granite counter top installed and a 10" under mount sink in place of my current 7" sink. I am concerned about the drain pipe. At present the pipe going inside the wall is 12" above the ground of the cabinet and the over all height of the cabinet is around 2 1/2 ft. If the sink is 10" then will it fit in the drain or I will have to lower it from the wall. The hot water inlet pipe is fine as it is very low and then the flex pipe goes into the faucet. The cold water pipe goes all the way up and is just 12 " from the roof of the cabinet. Any thought as will I be able to do it myself or call a plumber. I have not much experience in plumbing except changing a toilet and fixing cystern.


naushadakhtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,580
Rewards Points: 14,292

Depends on what type plumbing you have.
Old steel pipe is a lot harder to change then PVC copper, Pex and CPVC.


joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

It is black plastic I don't know if it is PVC or CPVC.
naushadakhtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"
rjniles's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Carolina Low Country
Posts: 7,582
Rewards Points: 4,252

Originally Posted by naushadakhtar View Post
It is black plastic I don't know if it is PVC or CPVC.
Black plastic is usually ABS pipe. CPVC is not used for drains.
Coastal South Carolina
rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
TheEplumber's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 9,975
Rewards Points: 904

1 way to tell- Do you still have the old tailpiece and p trap? if so, measure the tailpiece and see if it could have been shortened 2-3".
A 16" above the floor rough in usually works for most sinks. You said you're at 12" inside the cabinet- add the 4" toe kick and your right at 16"
But you can move the tee down relatively easily as it's ABS- Getting to the pipe is the biggest hurdle. After that it's simply cutting the pipe, unless the tee is off to the side of the window- then it gets difficult... Is it a tee or a 90?
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
corrugated drainage pipe, how to couple? bubbler Landscaping & Lawn Care 5 05-28-2012 10:13 AM
How far to dig under drainage pipe? greentrees Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 05-27-2012 06:23 AM
minimum drain pipe for bathroom sink to code Lindy_B Plumbing 0 02-17-2011 09:34 PM
What parts do I need to connect my sink to the drain pipe? abefroman Plumbing 2 06-17-2010 02:27 PM
reducing pipe size for sink drain bluebee1314 Plumbing 5 12-02-2007 12:53 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1