DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Low water pressure upstairs but gauge reads 100psi?

13K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  biggles 
#1 ·
New to the site...hopefully I am not repeating something already answered...any help would be appreciated.
My house is about 35 years old. It is a split-level home. We had the water pressure regulator replaced about 5 years ago by a professional plumber. Recently (about the last month) we have noticed the water pressure slowly decrease.
My local hardware store let me borrow a water pressure gauge. I hooked it up to the stationary tub in the laundry room and the outside hose and it read 100psi. Which seems a bit high from what I have read.
But the water pressure for our upstairs shower and sinks is much lower than it used to be. Also, it takes forever for the two toilets upstairs to refill after flushing. And they don't even seem to flush with much "force" anymore.
Is there something else I can test or do to increase the pressure upstairs?
The only running water we have downstairs is for the stationary tub and the washer.
I also called the water company and they said there were no issues with the lines and no one else in the area has reported low water pressure.
I am trying to do whatever I can before I call a plumber.
Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks joed
yes - i thought that was too high.
i did not test the pressure with a facet open (i guess that is the "real" test?)
so should i attach the gauge to the stationary tub downstairs and then open a faucet upstairs? ...then get a reading.
the gauge i have only attaches to the stationary tub or the outside hose faucet...is that okay or do i need to be able to attach a gauge to the facets upstairs?
what type of plumbing? i am assuming you mean if i have copper piping or something...yes the main water lines in the downstairs are copper.
thanks for your help!

#4 ·
Yes attach to tub and open any other faucet in house. Maybe try it with different faucets and see what the reading is.
I asked type of pipe because if you said old gavnaized I would have suggested plugged pipes. Now I am thinking clogged aerators or partially closed valve somewhere.

#5 ·
okay so i tested the right way.
attached the gauge to the laundry room sink.
went upstairs and turned on the kitchen sink.
The gauge dropped down to 25psi.
Then I turned on the upstairs bathroom sink and it dropped to about 18psi.
Finally turned on the bathtub and it dropped just below 10psi.
Is there something I can do?
thanks for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.