Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #1

Share |

Low water pressure in shower

Hi,
I was hoping to get some help with some problems I am having with my shower and tub faucet. The pressure for both is very low. In fact for the shower the water pretty much drips straight down.

To begin with, I have a well so there is a jet pump in the basement. The water heater is a tankless Paloma unit that is about 10 years old. By following the pipes, it looks like the hot water runs to the bathroom sink and then to the tub area. The shower is a Moen.

So a few months ago, everything with the shower pressure was normal but we had a drip from the faucet. We had a plumbler over to replace utility/laundry sink pump. We asked him to take a look at the leaking bathroom tub faucet. He suggested ordering the cartridge from Moen and installing it ourselves. This is what I did. The leak stopped but the pressure was significantly lower. We lived with it. In the last few weeks, the shower would turn from hot to cold. If the bathroom sink faucet was run on hot water, the shower water would turn scalding hot. Adjusting the shower control would make no difference in moderating the water temperature other than suddenly turning it ice cold again.

Called the plumber. He suggested that the problem was with the tankless water heater and that it needed to be serviced. We called the heating and cooling company that installed the water heater. They came out and serviced/cleaned it out. I was told it was in good shape.

None of this helped fix the problem.

I removed the Moen cartridge. When the water was turned back on, the water shot out of the pipe with quite a bit of pressure. I took this to mean the cartridge itself was the issue. We ordered a new cartridge from Moen. Installed it today. We can now moderate the temperature of the water, but the pressure is still ridiculously low.

I did run a length of wire through the pipes when the cartridge was removed. Like I said though, the water pressure was quite high when the cartidge was removed.

If you can help me troubleshoot this problem, I would be very grateful. I am really out of ideas as to how to fix this......plumbing is not exactly my strong point

Bluew126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #2

Is it both the shower head and the tub spout that run slow?
If it's just the shower head remove it and remove the filter inside of it if there is one. If it's not the head pluged up I would be looking at the anti scald valve inside the control valve.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluew126 View Post
Hi,
I was hoping to get some help with some problems I am having with my shower and tub faucet. The pressure for both is very low. In fact for the shower the water pretty much drips straight down.

To begin with, I have a well so there is a jet pump in the basement. The water heater is a tankless Paloma unit that is about 10 years old. By following the pipes, it looks like the hot water runs to the bathroom sink and then to the tub area. The shower is a Moen.

So a few months ago, everything with the shower pressure was normal but we had a drip from the faucet. We had a plumbler over to replace utility/laundry sink pump. We asked him to take a look at the leaking bathroom tub faucet. He suggested ordering the cartridge from Moen and installing it ourselves. This is what I did. The leak stopped but the pressure was significantly lower. We lived with it. In the last few weeks, the shower would turn from hot to cold. If the bathroom sink faucet was run on hot water, the shower water would turn scalding hot. Adjusting the shower control would make no difference in moderating the water temperature other than suddenly turning it ice cold again.

Called the plumber. He suggested that the problem was with the tankless water heater and that it needed to be serviced. We called the heating and cooling company that installed the water heater. They came out and serviced/cleaned it out. I was told it was in good shape.

None of this helped fix the problem.

I removed the Moen cartridge. When the water was turned back on, the water shot out of the pipe with quite a bit of pressure. I took this to mean the cartridge itself was the issue. We ordered a new cartridge from Moen. Installed it today. We can now moderate the temperature of the water, but the pressure is still ridiculously low.

I did run a length of wire through the pipes when the cartridge was removed. Like I said though, the water pressure was quite high when the cartidge was removed.

If you can help me troubleshoot this problem, I would be very grateful. I am really out of ideas as to how to fix this......plumbing is not exactly my strong point
have you cleaned out the shower head and did you blow out from head arm to faucet...seems like it may have a clog...try this..remove head blow on arm to faucet...may need air hook up..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #4

Is the valve a moentrol or positemp?
Did you discuss this with Moen?
Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #5

It is a positemp. I did not discuss it with Moen. I did remove the shower head and cleaned it up. Is the air hook up something I can purchase or rent and hookup to my air compressor?

Both the tub spout and shower are slow.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If it's not the head pluged up I would be looking at the anti scald valve inside the control valve.

Is the control valve the cartridge? If not, where is it located?

Thanks