Low Water Pressure (hot Water Only) - Temp Fix When I Shut Off Water Supply To Tank - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Low water pressure (hot water only) - temp fix when I shut off water supply to tank

Hey all - new the the forum. Was reading about low water pressure for hot water and lots of folks recommended draining out the tank. I did this a few times and did find quite a bit of small rocks/debris.

That said, after shutting off the water supply to the tank and turning it back on, it seems to correct the water pressure issue for hot water. A few days later the dreaded low pressure comes back. When I cycle the water tank again (ie, turn off the water supply to the water tank for a few minutes and turn it back on), I get pressure again for hot water.

Any thoughts on what the issue is and what steps I should take to correct the root issue?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

skilletrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 568

Low water pressure (hot water only) - temp fix when I shut off water supply to tank

Old steel pipes?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

no steel pipes here i think its copper. anything I should look for or look into?
skilletrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

You might have a build up of small particles/sediment from your flushing that have worked their way up to the fixture valve body.
Take it apart and clean it out.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

Sometimes there are check valves at the hot water tank inlet and outlet, intended to prevent eddy currents in the water from losing heat in the piping just above the tank. These could malfunction or become clogged with sediment. Some folks don't install them, but removing them is not that simple.

These check valves are not readily identifiable; if present they are incorporated into the first short pipe segments (nipples) screwed into the tank.

Turn off the water heater heat before draining any significant amount of water from the heater, and have a hot water faucet gushing water upstairs before turning the heat back on.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-15-2012 at 07:58 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
bob22 (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,022

Is the low pressure at all fixtures?

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water heater , hot water pressure