Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Low water pressure after fixing leak.

My Story so far:

Noticed a leak via the leak detector about a month ago. Long story short, ended up replacing old poly butylene from the water meter to the copper connection on the house. Also replaced the PRV. Everything seemed fine for about a week or two.

Then about a week ago I noticed that the leak detector was moving again. This time the copper pipe from the house got a pin sized hole poked in it. Fixed that was well.

But after I turned the water on a made sure there was no leaks (leak detector not moving), my wfie and I noticed that the water pressure was not what it should be. We can now only have one faucet, hot or cold, on at a time in the house or we have a big drop in water pressure.

I am a little stumped to be honest (as if that is hard to do). I used 3/4" pipe to replace the line and fix any problems as the original line was 3/4". I guess there could be junk in the line but I thought I was careful not to get anything in it besides a little dirt and pipe glue.

I have tried turing the main off at the meter and draining the line (just open faucets and emptied toilets) and then reopend the main to see if it would 'flush' anything out but that didn't work.

I tried just turning everything on to see if maximum possible flow would push anything out. No go.

The latest thing I have done is to call the city to check the meter and the valve just to be sure. I hope to hear from them soon.

Is there anything else you guys can think off that I could try before I call the plumber and admit defeat?

SirDrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Remove the pressure reducing valve and see if the screen is full of debris. Thats the first place I'd look if the reduced flow is house wide. Should be a union nut to break the connection.

JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #3

Some luck for a change.

Got home yesterday and noticed that the city had been at my house to check the meter. Went in the house and now the pressue is better than it has ever been in the 8 years I have lived there. I was about 90% sure it wasn't the meter/valve but I am glad it was. I can finally move on to the next project in this house. This one was sure a PITA.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

Well, I'm back. Becasue my problem is back. I haven't done anything to the water since I last posted so I am thinking its the city again.

I went and bought a water gauge yesterday and did some tests. On both out side faucests (they are both after the PRV) I get 40 static PSI. When I turn one faucet on in the house it seems to stay steady. When I turn on another faucet or flush the toilet it drops to around 18 PSI. Thats over a 50% drop when turing on an extra faucet.

I have read that this can be a flow issue but the pressure was better for about a week.

Also, from time to time the fixtures will spit like there is air in the lines. Its not spitting violently like it would when I have turned my water on and off at the meter but it does it just a little bit from time to time.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #5

Deleted

Last edited by Bob999; 06-08-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #6

talked with a guy from the water department yesterday and he said my house is getting 65 psi and suggested I check my PRV.

I have read that 70 psi is good for a house, so it seems that my house can take all that the city is giving me right now.

Hopefully I just have to turn up the pressure on the PRV and it hasn't gone bad. Its still new.