Low Water Pressure - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

low water pressure

have low water pressure city says its from house to meter and needs to be blown out what do i need to do this

Advertisement

dmnman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

low water pressure

Do you know what the pipe that goes from the meter to the house is made of? Copper/galv/PVC or what

Blowing out I think is a generic term. If there is build up of scale or calicum then you can acidize the line but most the time that is fruitless.

To be honest you need to be prepared to replace the line.

Advertisement

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

low water pressure

Hmmm, IMO--this sounds like BS to me. I'm not saying that some type of build-up is not possible, but enough to reduce water pressure just across the meter? I don't buy that answer. IF you had this much build-up of anything, why would you not have this problem within the piping of your home? I, ME, would have to get the city crew back out to show me the static water pressure before their meter. Then I would ask them, even if I had to pay for them to do it, to test the static water pressure on one outside faucet and one inside faucet. Then IF there is a noticeable drop in water pressure between before the meter and after the meter at the house, I would admit it and seek help in this area. As plumber101 asked: what type of piping do you have going from the meter to your home? Then: how long is the run from the meter to your home, and what size is the piping going from the meter to your home? RSVP Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

low water pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Hmmm, IMO--this sounds like BS to me. I'm not saying that some type of build-up is not possible, but enough to reduce water pressure just across the meter? I don't buy that answer. IF you had this much build-up of anything, why would you not have this problem within the piping of your home? I, ME, would have to get the city crew back out to show me the static water pressure before their meter. Then I would ask them, even if I had to pay for them to do it, to test the static water pressure on one outside faucet and one inside faucet. Then IF there is a noticeable drop in water pressure between before the meter and after the meter at the house, I would admit it and seek help in this area. As plumber101 asked: what type of piping do you have going from the meter to your home? Then: how long is the run from the meter to your home, and what size is the piping going from the meter to your home? RSVP Good Luck, David
HMMMMMMM.....Not BS.

If the line from the meter to the house is galv pipe and then turns into copper..well BUILD UP will happen. Had this in my first house and make pretty good $$$'s replacing service entrances that are galv.

Have you ever seen a 1/2" galv pipe reduced to less than a 1/4" from build up

• Low Water Pressure - See picture on left for inside of an old galvanized pipe - They clog from the inside with no signs outside the pipe of a problem.
  • Unpleasant odor in water coming from galvanized pipes
  • Stained clothing in laundry from galvanized pipes
  • Bacteria build up in galvanized pipes
  • Build up of toxic mold
  • Decreased property value / due to water damage
  • Insurance issues / cancellation due to excessive claims
  • Damage to family heirlooms and other irreplaceable items due to leaks in galvanized pipes
Static pressure does nothing but indicates there is pressure. A flow test could be done but he already has an issue. The old pressure to volume theory.

Last edited by Plumber101; 10-29-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
union journeymem plumber

Rewards Points: 25

low water pressure

OK,this is pretty much a easy thing to figure out.1st see if you have lead pipe coming from the village main into the house and if so all you have to do is put your ear on the water line next to the water meter to see if your able to hear any moment in the pipe with out running water in the house,and if your able to hear movement more an likely you may have a burst pipe or a pin hole in the line which can cause low water pressure all around the house.2ND would be,what type of water line are in the house? is it copper or galvanized lines that feed the fixtures water?Sorry but more than likely you maybe a good canidate for a horizano repipe

Thurman,good luck trying to have the city go out and do a water pressure test for your house,and at the end of the day the person you really want the inspect your water pressure issues would be a License plumbing company not some that works for the village/cityFYI just because some one works for the city sewer/water department doesn't mean the they are license plumber.

Last edited by 130 plumber; 10-29-2009 at 08:57 PM.
130 plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

low water pressure

Thurman,good luck trying to have the city go out and do a water pressure test for your house,and at the end of the day the person you really want the inspect your water pressure issues would be a License plumbing company not some that works for the village/cityFYI just because some one works for the city sewer/water department doesn't mean the they are license plumber.[/quote]

AMEN

Those people that work for the city and utility companies only drink the kool-aid that is fed to them

Old 10-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
union journeymem plumber

Rewards Points: 25

low water pressure

sorry for the spelling im using my cell phone to type
130 plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

low water pressure

Also do you have a Pressure regulator on your main inside your house? If so it could be bad. I agree, You should have a licensed plumber come out and diagnose your problem, It will cost you some money but you will get the answer.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

low water pressure

Galvinized

Advertisement

dmnman2 is offline   Reply With Quote