Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #1

Share |

Low water flow from old washing machine

I have a 25 year old or so Whirlpool and it takes forever because the water flow is so weak. I unhooked the old hoses and blew them out. The plumbing seems ok. The problem appears to be inside the washer. Scale and maybe even rust. I have no idea how to clean it out. It works great but sometimes it is time to replace them.

If I have to drag it in the yard, I will just replace it. It is a tight squeeze getting it in and out. Used to be in the garage but the prior owner created a utility room. Thanks.

Frank Lardino

FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

have you looked into the port the water enters? Most washers have a screen there. If you have hard water, it could be blocked with scale.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
have you looked into the port the water enters? Most washers have a screen there. If you have hard water, it could be blocked with scale.
Thanks. It is up against the wall, jammed against the dryer and I had to tip it towards me. I felt back there and felt the screens for H and C. I tried to clean with my fingers.

I may tip in on it's front to get better access to the back. I will try a wet vac on it. If I get it tipped over - maybe I can pour in some CLR or vinegar.

Frank Lardino
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #4

I would not pour chemicals into the washing machine.

Sometimes the screens on the ports are in the form of removable rings although it may take some effort to get them out and they may be corroded enough to disintegrate in the process.

If you run the washing machine without screens in the water ports, you could have sediment enter the water passageways inside and cause other problems.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

I bet that it is probably partially plugged screens. They have rubber rings and pop out, so you can take them out to clean or replace them.
If that doesn't do it, replace the washing machine water valve that the hoses connect to.
I have a 20-year-old Maytag washer & dryer set, and I have replaced the washer water valve twice. It's easy. You just need your make and model number and order it or pick it up at a local Whirlpool dealer.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote