Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #1

Share |

Low/No Hot Water Pressure after changing Elements

Hey ya'll,
I have searched the net and forums and sites, now I must ask here.

I have no plumbing experience.

I replaced the elements in a 2 element 30 gallon Mor Flo water heater. The water gets hot, however it does NOT come out of any faucets or whatever at this time.

I have drained the water heater multiple times, not all the way, but at least for 10 to 20 minutes. Most everything that will come out, has come out, sediment-wise.

So when I originally turned everything back on, we had no pressure, it was barely a trickle on the hot water side.

I have water coming out of the Hot water Out from the top of the water heater. But now the bath tub and bathroom sink have no hot water coming out, if at all, the sink is now Not putting out cold water, but the bathtub is, and the kitchen sink has no water coming out of the hot, but plenty of the cold.
So, Bathtub, cold = yes hot = not even a trickle now
Bathroom sink, cold = no, hot = air, no water
Kitchen Sink, cold = yes hot = no water

I finally got the bright idea of putting CLR in the Hot Water tube, and I got nothing fixed, and a metallic hum of a noise from the water heater.

The top is literally a cold in, a hot out, as it is a 30 gallon tank. Nothing else is "apparent".

I have tapped the piping, used the clr, please help, I have figured out that the water IS going OUT the heater, but just not to anywhere....
Please help!

Onehipcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

Oh, and as a PS, everything worked fine right before I had to replace the elements.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #3

possibly the cold water valve above the tank broke when you shut it off common with gate valves. Also clean all your aireators
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #4

nothing to do with aerators (sp), trust me, and because this place is a trailer, in a park, it has a main shut off, 1/4 turn shut off, water does rush into the tank, and does come out the hot side, the tubing is old skinny i would say copper. I know it might need to be replaced, but I am selling this place in about 2 months, and cant really afford to even DYI new plumbing to just the 3 water outlets. Before I changed the things out initially, I had good pressure, even when the bad elements werent working.

Also, I have left the tub hot water open, and since I put the CLR in, i am geting a green drip. am going to drain some out of the bottom of the thign in a minute... yeah its late, and i am determined!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #5

Broken Anode??? Causing the water heater to have to be full before any water comes out... you would get a little hot water and then cold till it gets below anode break and then when it fill up enough you get cold water??? Say maybe because of the no cold water part
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #6

Doc, if that is the case, how do you fix that?

On my hot water heater, there are the 2 pipes off the top, cold/main water in, hot water out. No valves. And when I take those hoses of, cold water in pipes definately works, (trust me!), and the hot water out works also, ( I turned on the breaker), so, it IS piping hot water out from the heater, BUT, there is nothing coming out anywhere now. The bath tub is trying to drip a little (I have since turned off the breaker, since it had a high pitched whining noise coming from the water heater), and really, there is no reason the thing is not "filled" .... I would have thought since everything was good before the original problems started, and that I put the CLR in, that I would see some results, other than some green stuff on the tub, from a drip.

I am about to do a partial drain, meaning I am going to connect the hose to the outlet at the bottom, drain for a minute with the water main on, to shoot out any crazy stuff, and then turn off the main for a minute or so, and turn it back on.....
Old 07-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #7

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Will/Desktop/basic-water-heater-diagram.gif[/IMG]Have you taken out the Driptude for the Cold Water? This should be long enough to put the Cold water on the Bottom of the tank.... Hot water outlet Pipe should go in the tank... I would say a about 12 -14 inches... Only way to check is to pull them out and see if they look like they are broken.

I always flush water heaters when I am doing a Job... I teach the homeowners and I explain I believe with all my heart it WILL extend the life of the water Heater
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #8

ok, I drained the foam from the clr out, got cold water pressure in bathroom sink again, have partial hot water pressure in sink, tub is a steady slow stream, but well, its still a trickle. Still no water from hot water side of kitchen sink.
I am keepin the bath tub hot water open when I go to bed, and the breaker off for the heater.

I really hope to wake up to some good responses, I just need more details than a generalization, please.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #9

Problem with looking for the tubes. I took off the metal flex pipes off the top, and no obvious ways to check for the anode or tube. Looks like maybe the connection threaded pipes might be able to be taken out from the top, but not a wise choice I would think.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #10

Soory I am stumped and will need to try to figure this out... This is why

ok, I drained the foam from the clr out, got cold water pressure in bathroom sink again, have partial hot water pressure in sink, tub is a steady slow stream, but well, its still a trickle. Still no water from hot water side of kitchen sink.
I am keepin the bath tub hot water open when I go to bed, and the breaker off for the heater.

Cold Water has nothing to do with the Water Heater after the "T"
Sounds like there is 1 of 2 things going on since the Water Heater works on Pressure
1- Not enough Pressure getting in
2-Not enough water getting out

If I was concentrating on just the Hot water I am Leaning towards the Drip tube And Hot water outlet
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onehipcat View Post
Problem with looking for the tubes. I took off the metal flex pipes off the top, and no obvious ways to check for the anode or tube. Looks like maybe the connection threaded pipes might be able to be taken out from the top, but not a wise choice I would think.
those are the tudes and outlets http://waterheatersca.com/?p=33
Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #12

Sounds like a bunch of junk entered your hot water system when it was refilled and got caught in the fixtures. I would start unhooking fixtures and checking flows at each one.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Sounds like a bunch of junk entered your hot water system when it was refilled and got caught in the fixtures. I would start unhooking fixtures and checking flows at each one.

You start at one end or the other, not in the middle.

Check the water heater from the drain down valve with a hose to make sure you are getting full flow/pressure out of the water heater do this without turning off the inlet valve. This will tell you whether or not you're having a problem with the shut off valve.

If it isn't that, then you'll need to go to each fixture you're having problems with, tear them apart and clean out the guts.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #14

OK, I totally drained the thing, dripped dry if you will, let it refill, changed the top element control thing.
After research, I agree with you guys about it possibly being a drip tube, and or an uptake problem. I have taken the 2 tubes off the top of the tank, and to identify which is which, I turned the main back on, and of course, had great pressure in.
So, CLR, and Liquid Plumber where put through the Hot Out tube, directly, and cleared out fine, a little bit of black stuff coming out of the bathroom faucet, then going clear.

So anyways, I looked into the top of the tank, from where both hoses come out of the top, cold in/hot out, and cannot see how to get any "
inner tubing" out.....

Thanks or the help, and for some reason I didnt get the note that there were even more responses.
I just dont want to have to buy a new one. So I need details on how to fix the dip tube.... I understand the innards of the thing, but dont see how to replace it, and havent seen a replacement tube at Home Depot...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
Owner

Quote:
So, CLR, and Liquid Plumber where put through the Hot Out tube, directly, and cleared out fine, a little bit of black stuff coming out of the bathroom faucet, then going clear.
All I can say about that is OMG! Did you read the back of the bottle? POISON!! I wouldn't use that stuff in a drain line, let alone a potable water system.

The blockage(s) were most likely in the aerators at each fixture. Common problem any time and old system is shut down then turned back on. Remove your aerators.

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote