Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

low hot water pressure in shower

I live in a 3/2 less than 2 years old with showers and tubs in both bathrooms and 2 sinks in both bathrooms. the problem is with the shower head just on the other side of the hot water heater ( closest to the hot water heater). There cant be more than 5 feet of pipe between the shower head and the hot water heater.

The problem is I have LOW!!! hot water pressure in only this shower. All other outlets are fine. I have a well and an electric hot water heater.

Anyone have a clue?

avlivewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 268

It might be your valve in the shower. Many valves, especialy Delta, have a hot water limiter that prevents scalding. It is a plastic piece preset by the plumber/installer that limits how hot the hot water can be mixed with the cold. If you post a pic of the handles, I might be able to guide you through the process of changing the 'high end limiter" or you could try to look up the model itself via google. This is a manufacturters limiter that allows the plumber to set the high temp limit so that children do not accidentally scald themselves. Often, it is as easy as pulling the temperature control cover off of the handle assembly, removing the screw, rotating the grooved 'limiter' to a hotter position, and then replacing the screw and 'beauty cap'. If you are unsure, see if your local hardware store has a similar valve and ask about the above procedure for your valve.
HTH
Brett

Old 10-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

It's probably what wrangler thinks, but what kind of faucet do you have?
Brand? Single handle? Double handle?
Sometimes internal plumbing debris can partially clog one side (or both) of a faucet. The other solution is to turn your water off, dismantle the faucet, and then turn the water back on very briefly to flush it out into the tub. I have all Delta single handle faucets, and that usually works for me.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote