Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

Share |

Low hot water pressure (only in one sink, only hot water)

Hello - my problem is pretty much what the topic title says. I have low hot water pressure in my kitchen sink. It's been bad ever since I moved in (about seven years ago), but it's getting REALLY bad lately. The cold water is fine. The faucet is only one handle where you move it to the right for cold and to the left for hot (as opposed to two separate hot/cold handles).

I just replaced the hot water heater last summer, so that's pretty much brand new. The problem did not get better or worse after the hot water heater install. I assume the pipes are very old, as the house itself is very old.

I should also mention that saying I am not very handy would be an understatement. But I'm trying, and I'm willing to learn!

Thanks in advance for any (laymen's) help anyone can offer!

ShootingBlanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #2

Oh - I should also mention that I installed a new sink about 4 years ago. I can't remember if that helped temporarily, but I kind of think it didn't.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

This is apparently a common(ish) problem - Several people in the last few months have had to deal with this.

Apparently (not always - but often) junk from the hot water heater gets into the water line and slowly junks up everything. . . things need to be removed and flushed/cleaned thoroughly.

Another cause seems to be corrosion that builds up.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #4

I kind of had a feeling it would be corrosion, since the pipes are so old. Is there a good site that tells pretty easily and clearly (for the inexperienced!) how to flush the corrosion out? Or will I have to replace all the pipes???
Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #5

Had to deal with this recently. Turned out the pipes were corrodded and full of gunk.

I first turned off the water from the heater, disconnected the pipe, took off every valve that I could. Used air compressor to blow through the pipes. Bunch of stuff came out. Replaced all the valves, hoses to the sinks, etc. Helped for about 3 months.

Ended up replacing the pipes. That was fun. Especially the pipes behind a tiled bathroom. Glad the kitchen fridge was on the other side, so that saved me some tile work.
slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #6

my hot water pipes are clogged (especially shower) from sediment released from hot water heater. my landlord replaced the water heater but didn't blow out the lines. I still have almost no water pressure. how do you blow out the lines?

jmoseley57 is offline   Reply With Quote