Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Low hot water pressure, no hot water

Recently my water pipes froze. That will happen when the temp hits 30 below in Wisconsin. While thawing the pipes a copper pipe broke. I replaces that and now I have very little hot water pressure and no hot water. I've reset the electric hot water 3 times, but no luck. If the elements somehow burned out would that cause the pressure problem too?

Any suggestions?

pattiabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #2

Is there a thawed and now broken pipe somewhere else that is losing all the hot water and running up your electric bill and water bill?

Turn all faucets off. Then examine your water meter for continuing water flow.

Turn off the water heater before doing any work on the hot water pipes. Have a hot water faucet open and running before turning the water heater back on. Then you can go upstairs and turn the faucet off.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #3

to lose all the hot water from another broken pipe, wouldn't that probably mean that your house would be flooded somewhere rather quickly? i don't know about everyone else's house, but when water is flowing at a reasonable rate i can hear it in the walls in the house. a cold water pipe could be underground outside somewhere, but a hot water pipe would be leaking somewhere in the home.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
to lose all the hot water from another broken pipe, wouldn't that probably mean that your house would be flooded somewhere rather quickly? i don't know about everyone else's house, but when water is flowing at a reasonable rate i can hear it in the walls in the house. a cold water pipe could be underground outside somewhere, but a hot water pipe would be leaking somewhere in the home.
Lot more hot water lines under my house than in it.

Depends on the configuration of the plumbing.

When I first bought this house, the water heater was in the kitchen. The pipe ran ran along under the house for about 20 ft before taking a turn for another 20 ft or so. We moved the water heater to the washroom. The washroom is on the same side of the house as the bthrm with a 12 ft bdrm between them.

As it is now, the hot water for the bthroom still has to make that (guessing) 40 ft loop from the kitchen. Actually, since the main supply runs under the bthrm, and the kitchen is on the opposite side, the hot water for the bath makes almost a complete loop around the crawl space.

Note this is an older house with a crawl space not on a slab.

You may very well be correct with a newer house with more modern plumbing, especially if built on a slab. Imo.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Lot more hot water lines under my house than in it.

Depends on the configuration of the plumbing.

When I first bought this house, the water heater was in the kitchen. The pipe ran ran along under the house for about 20 ft before taking a turn for another 20 ft or so. We moved the water heater to the washroom. The washroom is on the same side of the house as the bthrm with a 12 ft bdrm between them.

As it is now, the hot water for the bthroom still has to make that (guessing) 40 ft loop from the kitchen. Actually, since the main supply runs under the bthrm, and the kitchen is on the opposite side, the hot water for the bath makes almost a complete loop around the crawl space.

Note this is an older house with a crawl space not on a slab.

You may very well be correct with a newer house with more modern plumbing, especially if built on a slab. Imo.
ahhh, good point. i keep thinking slab construction, since that is what we have mostly around here. on the east coast everyone has a basement, so you'd have a flooded basement.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

Non-professional opinion:

Low pressure - check all pipes, joints and turn-offs, if you applied heat near them, again if possible (Hope you are not on a slab)

Bad element - possible the tank was siphoned dry or below the top element if double element

If doing anymore sweating of copper, you might want to make sure the pressure inside the pipe caused from the heat has a way to escape'
You do not say the pipe had frozen and then burst. You can burst a pipe by applying heat to it to thaw it out if the pressure has no place to escape. If that is what happened, be glad it you weren't hurt.

When thawing pipes, always start near an open tap to allow any pressure to escape.

If sweating near a tap or joint, place a wet rag or something on it to act as a heat sink. If a tap, might be best to remove any rubber washers in it then use a heat sink to protect the joint itself if sweated on.

If the pipe is still getting a little water from the meter, stuff that end of the repair with white bread and sweat when dry enough. Try to get the bread as far in as you can. Just enough bread to stop the trickle of water so you can sweat the cut end. Bread will wash on through when the repair is made and the water is turned back on.

Remember, you cannot sweat a pipe with running water in it.

And what Allan posted.

I'm assuming you have all copper.

If any of this incorrect, maybe a plumber will let us know.

Hope something here helps. Good luck!

Last edited by boman47k; 02-15-2011 at 03:47 PM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no hot water, plumbing, water heater pressure