Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Low hot water pressure in bath tub

I am new here will try and get a intro 2morrow.

I have a issue I have been battling in my house, I have lived her about 3 years, and the house was built around 1945. My hot water pressure in my tub is awful have pressure fine at the bath sink and kitchen sink. I have tried everything I can think of and can do.

I have tried changing the rubber washers, looked inside with the facet and found no build up as far as I could see. The facet setup is 2 handle hot/cold, and the guess what you call a diverter? the part the water comes out of into the tub has a knob you pull up for the shower. If somebody has to take a bath lord help them it will take a long time to fill up.

I thought at first maybe it was my hot water tank, but can't be if I have pressure in the bathroom and kitchen, but my hot water tank is estimated to be 30 years old, it is a glass line tank. I have been told it could the manifold? I would take to be the part in the wall the facet valves go into could have a spot in there with build up or could be the lines right at the manifold. If it is the manifold, how are those installed when house is built? I can access it through the wall in my kitchen cabinet, but wonder if the studs would be in the way, so I would have to take my tub surround off or replace it, and cut the wall out in the tub to pull the manifold.

I hope its something easy and not drastic or costly since I don't have much funds to do alot of replacing. I can do alot, I have a knack for doing most handy man or diy projects. Thanks in advance for any help.

dirtrider73068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

if you've isolated it from other fixtures in the house, it has to be a clog in the valve somewhere. What kind of valve is it?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
DIY'er

I don't know what kind it is, I know its old, unless you are referring to what is a old style rubber washer kind that presses into a round seat to shut off the water flow.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Military Mom of 4

Where are your pipes? In the walls, under the floor in a crawlspace or bacement? In the attic?

If you can see your pipes - are they different than the other pipes in your house?

What I would do to temporarily figure out the problem is to remove the faucet/tub/shower area and attach on a hose bib (like an outside water-hose faucet tap) and see if removing the actual shower-valves affects water flow.

If water flow is good from your temporary hose bib - then it's your tub attachments.
If it's low coming out of your hose bib - then it might be your pipes.

Just tossing out some ideas, here:
If your pipes are copper or galvanized steel then they might have been bent or crushed, hindering flow.
If they are Pvc, cpvc (both are a stiff plastic that doesn't flex well) then they might be undersized or clogged somehow.
If it's PEX (a flexible pipe) then perhaps it has too many hoops and loops - or the wrong size was used *3/8" instead of 1/2" - for example*.

Or- it could be a sign of a leak - my sink water-flow weakened due to a small leak and eventually the pipe burst, ending all water flow and alerting me of the problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
DIY'er

I have a crawl space so I can see the pipes and from before I have seen before they look like they are copper pipes. When you say a hose bib how do I hook that up? Do I hook it up where the valve is at?

I talked to a guy at work today that does irrigation and some plumbing and he mention the valve needs to be changed out with a new one, like its not opening fully. But I did a test and took the cold valve out and put it in the hot side and it still flowed out slow, and the cold side from what I can remember flowed that same as with the cold valve in it. So I don't think its the valves.

I thought if I have to replace or clean out the manifold or shower valve mixture assembly how hard is that do and how is it installed in the wall? Did the build the wall then install the assembly in the studs or do the build the studs around the assembly? Do most manifolds screw on to the copper inlet pipes or solder them on?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post
I have a crawl space so I can see the pipes and from before I have seen before they look like they are copper pipes. When you say a hose bib how do I hook that up? Do I hook it up where the valve is at?

I talked to a guy at work today that does irrigation and some plumbing and he mention the valve needs to be changed out with a new one, like its not opening fully. But I did a test and took the cold valve out and put it in the hot side and it still flowed out slow, and the cold side from what I can remember flowed that same as with the cold valve in it. So I don't think its the valves.

I thought if I have to replace or clean out the manifold or shower valve mixture assembly how hard is that do and how is it installed in the wall? Did the build the wall then install the assembly in the studs or do the build the studs around the assembly? Do most manifolds screw on to the copper inlet pipes or solder them on?

Terminoligy is all wrong here. Valve body (brass housing in wall) - cartridges/spindle assemblies (go inside of valve body) - Trim (covers valve body and guts)

If you've swapped the spindle assembly from cold to hot and have the same result, then you've now isolated it to either a clog in the valve body, or a clog in the hot water line going to the valve body. Pull the hot cartridge out and get someone to help you turning the water on and off (hopefully trying not to make a huge mess in the process) to see if you can blow something out of the line. The orifices in the cartridges are kinda small, so you may get it out without the cartridge in there.

In order to replace or remove the valve you need access through the wall behind it, OR you have to demolish your shower or tub/shower whatever you've got. We try to work on them from inside the tub or shower. If it isn't leaking then there isn't any sense in replacing it. You have something blocking that line and you need to try and flush it out.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #7

take the diverter apart and rebuild it

OOPS sorry I read it wrong , thought it was a three valve diverter

Last edited by plumberinlaw; 02-26-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: gave bad idea
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #8

ithey do make a remodelers kit if a person wants to take out a 2-handle t/s faucet. it is an oversize chrome cover plate also calles trim plate which allows you to take out old faucet without demolishing the wall. it is tight area to work in but you said you had copper lines hopefully 1/2" feeding old fixture. you might be able to use sharkbites to re hook up new valve
holman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberinlaw View Post
take the diverter apart and rebuild it
what does the diverter have to do with hot water pressure when the cold is fine?
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
DIY'er

In order to replace or remove the valve you need access through the wall behind it, OR you have to demolish your shower or tub/shower whatever you've got. We try to work on them from inside the tub or shower. If it isn't leaking then there isn't any sense in replacing it. You have something blocking that line and you need to try and flush it out.

Ok now when you say access through the wall behind it, I can do that from my kitchen cabinets, since my bathroom wall is at my kitchen wall. But my If i need to take it out, does the feed lines screw onto the valve body/manifold, or do they solder them in?
Old 02-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #11

Sell the house move somewhee with sun and sand, That is the only logical solution I can think of!
arcticbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider73068 View Post

Ok now when you say access through the wall behind it, I can do that from my kitchen cabinets, since my bathroom wall is at my kitchen wall. But my If i need to take it out, does the feed lines screw onto the valve body/manifold, or do they solder them in?
It depends on the valve. You can get them in a lot of different varieties of connections.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
DIY'er

Awesome, it would be my luck it would have to be soldered on. Well here is another question, when its installed, do they notch the studs for the vavle body to fit in, or do they build the studs around the valve body? If its the latter I can cut a access panel in my kitchen cabinet to access it and maybe by hopes I can unscrew it and see if it has alot of build up. From what I have tried and what I can see I think it has some build up in the hot water line either right at the valve body or inside the valve body. If there is something I can pour down the shower head line to get into the valve body to maybe dissolve the build up I would sure rather try that then having to cut into the cabinets and walls.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Doing it myself

Sometimes the water lines have to travel through the studs to get to the valve, but as a general rule, there's no valve directly behind the valve. It's too hard to get it in there that way.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
DIY'er

Ok well here is something else I just remembered, The last couple times I have turned on the hot water to shower, there comes some thumps and bumps like there is air pockets in the lines? Doesn't make sense cause there shouldn't be a leak and never had a leak and this has been a ongoing problem since i had bought the house.

Also my hot water never had a pop off valve on it, doesn't need something that lets air in the hot water tank to keep from having a vacuum, or does it use the line coming in to pressure the tank?