Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #1

Share |

Low hot water pressure

I have low hot water pressure in my bathroom. It started after replaced the heating elements in my water heater. How do i clear the line

keith08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Low hot water pressure

Sediment debris from the water heater has probably clogged the hot water side shut-off valve(s) and/or the hot water side of the tub/shower and sink faucets.
Turn the water off to the water heater if you have a cold water supply valve to it (which only shuts off the hot water of course) or turn off your water main valve.
Dismantle the hot water shut-off valve(s) and faucets in the bathroom. Put towels under and over the shut-off valve under the sink and over the faucet. Have someone VERY briefly turn the water pressure back on to flush the debris out and then turn it back off very quickly.
That should clear it out. If it doesn't, you may have to take a piece of stiff wire (coathanger?) and break up the debris clog while the water is off and then flush it out.
Works for me.
Good Luck!
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #3

Low hot water pressure

Help since before xmas we have had low hot water pressure and the cold has got little black bits in looks like carbon any ideas please
dave1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #4

Low hot water pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith08 View Post
I have low hot water pressure in my bathroom. It started after replaced the heating elements in my water heater. How do i clear the line
You should drain and flush your water heater before any attempts to clear the clog. Otherwise you could just be sending more crud into your hot water line resulting in ongoing clogging problems.

Also, if there is crud from your heater blocking your bathroom hot water line, there is probably crud in all of the other hot water lines as well. You should flush all hot water lines in the whole house to avoid ongoing problems. I have a procedure (that I never tried but believe will work) to reverse flush the hot water lines without disassembling the working hot water faucets. It's a long procedure which includes the heater drain and flush. Let me know if you want to try it and I'll post it. I'll also have to know if there's a heat trap check valve in your hot water line above the heater.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #5

Low hot water pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1066 View Post
Help since before xmas we have had low hot water pressure and the cold has got little black bits in looks like carbon any ideas please
Those black carbon looking bits are probably pieces of black rubber (old ones are hard) broken off from a valve.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Plumbing Solutions, LLC

Low hot water pressure

I would suggest flushing the water heater.

Plumbing Solutions, LLC
Plumber in SC

PlumberinSC is offline   Reply With Quote