Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #1

Share |

low hot water pressure

All my hot water faucets in the house have low hot water pressure. I flushed out the water heater, cleaned out the faucet screens, but still have low pressure throughout. I read something about a nipple valve, but cannot seem to locate it. I have a gas heater. Any suggestion? Thanks.

charles watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #2

low hot water pressure

did this happen all of a sudden or have you been getting less and less pressure out of all the hot water sides?if it has gotten worse over the years you might be building up calcium/mineral deposits just at the copper fitting that the hot water screws into on the top of the tank (like blocked arteries)the tank fitting is steel and the copper threaded into it with the hot water acts like a magnet.the anode rod on the hot water line that reaches down into the tank might be corroded/blocked with rust particals.if you have a slop sink or pet cock for cold water aroung the tanl.on the HWH put the gas valve to PLOT......shut the cold water feed on the heater if you have a slop sink cap the spigot and turn the cold water on....then open the bottom drain on the HWH....my thinking here the cold water will flush the hot water line into the heater "counter flowing" it and out the bottom drain to see if you clear something.as i'am sure you realize the bottom drain is the same pressure as the house cold water side....so following logic the hot water into the house should be some what up there also....just hotter

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #3

low hot water pressure

Your water heater may have "heat-trap nipples".
Some of these have a small ball inside the nipple that is designed to help reduce heat loss when water is not being used. Hard water buildup can cause this ball to get stuck at the top of the nipple, resulting in a restriction to the flow of water.
If you are capable of working on the water heater, you can replace the nipples.
They are relatively inexensive, and you can purchase them at places such as Lowe's.

My sister had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Living on the other side of the country, I was not able to check her heater for her. A plumber had her convinced that she needed a new heater. Thinking this may be a little far-fetched, she called me for advice. I told her to have her husband replace the nipples. It fixed the problem.

If she had not quested what the plumber told her she would have spent almost $700 to have a new water heater installed. Instead, it cost her about $10 to buy a set of heat-trap nipples from Lowes.
waterheatertech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charles