Low Hot Water Flow - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Low Hot Water Flow

For the past week our hot water flow has become very low in all our faucets. Our cold water is perfectly fine and in the heat we're dealing with it's not an entirely huge problem... until I go to wash dishes or cloths. To go hand in hand with the low flow, when I do try to get the hot water going it takes several minutes for any kind of temperature change to happen. We've lived in our home for three years and last year the old water heater blew so this one that is now causing trouble is only a year old. I've looked in the past forum posts similar to mine but I want to see if there are any other opinions or suggestions out there.

Advertisement

MRG1687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 614

Low Hot Water Flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG1687 View Post
For the past week our hot water flow has become very low in all our faucets. Our cold water is perfectly fine and in the heat we're dealing with it's not an entirely huge problem... until I go to wash dishes or cloths. To go hand in hand with the low flow, when I do try to get the hot water going it takes several minutes for any kind of temperature change to happen. We've lived in our home for three years and last year the old water heater blew so this one that is now causing trouble is only a year old. I've looked in the past forum posts similar to mine but I want to see if there are any other opinions or suggestions out there.
Low flow from "all" of your hot water faucets points to a problem at the water heater. Look for two heat traps at the top of the heater, one for the cold and one for the hot. Some have balls in them to prevent hot water from the heater drifting upward and losing heat. If the balls get stuck in the wrong position, they can reduce hot water flow to all faucets.

http://waterheaterreviews.com/what-is-a-heat-trap

As a test, you could connect a garden hose to the heater drain at the bottom and "carefully" open the drain faucet. If the water gushes out, then the problem points to the heat trap in the hot water outlet. If the water flows slowly, then check the heat trap on the cold water inlet. Just let enough water out to test the flow and be careful not to get burned!

HRG

Advertisement

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote