Low Flow Upstair After Doing Some Plumbing Work - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 57

Low flow upstair after doing some plumbing work

Moved some pipes around in basement in preperation for it to be finished. I think I actually went down in total length of pipe by about 15-20'. However I added about 9 new elbows to the system (3/4"). I did not increase the size of any of the lines.

So that's the background, here's the problem. When I turn on a fixture upstairs, at first I get high flow/pressure but then it drops to pretty low after about 5-10 seconds.

On a couple of spots I had to use the bread trick to sweat the pipe, I'm wondering if it still might be in the lines somewhere, like maybe in my water softener. I say because here's something thats crazy. A supply line to a sink at the beginging of the system is plugged up. I think maybe when I turned on the kitchen sink (mixing valve?) the bread traveled into the faucet and out the hot supply (thus going backwards through the system? I know this sounds crazy but when I was plumbing I had the hot line open but cold was working. When I turned on the cold it would come out the faucet but would also come out the open hot line a little. I know for sure the hot/cold supply lines are hooked up correctly.

I checked the pressure at the faucet outside and I have 49 psi.

What should I do, Is there bread in the system somewhere. Is it a friction issue? Can I try turning up the pressure without damaging my pipes? Will that even help? Or do I need to redo the whole thing with less elbows? Help, I'm in it so deep here.

Advertisement

nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

when you shut off the water and turned it back on you might have knocked some crud loose in water lines.
id say pull the aerators out of faucets first to see if theyre plugged,if thats not it check the stop valves under sink and toilet to see if theyre plugged up.

Advertisement

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 57

I'm a retard. When I initially turned on the water at the main of the house I didn't turn it up all the way. Once I opened it all the way everything is normal now.
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
I'm a retard. When I initially turned on the water at the main of the house I didn't turn it up all the way. Once I opened it all the way everything is normal now.
your not retarded only plumbing challenged
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote