Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

LOUD sump pump

I just installed a water backup for my sump pump in case the lights go out...it works with water pressure so my basement wont flood in case of an outage.
Now the problem is that when it discharges the noise is so loud(THUD) that I hear it in the living room and also in my bedroom upstairs...it annoying to say the least..any suggestions PLEASE

SusanGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
DIY'er

LOUD sump pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGG View Post
I just installed a water backup for my sump pump in case the lights go out...it works with water pressure so my basement wont flood in case of an outage.
Now the problem is that when it discharges the noise is so loud(THUD) that I hear it in the living room and also in my bedroom upstairs...it annoying to say the least..any suggestions PLEASE
Isn't this the kind of device that only goes on if you pump fails or the power is out? How often is it really going to run that the noise is a problem?

Or is there a noise now every time the sump pump runs? If that is the case, please provide more details about how this backup pump was installed.

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #3

Thumbs down

LOUD sump pump

The noise was always there but now its loud...before it was like a little noise that you heard but it didnt disrupt you...this one is a loud thud...sounds like the sopper pipe is rattling also
from what I can see they ran a piece of white pipe off the original one and installed the emergency one.
Its the original pump thats banging cos the new one only works in case of a power outage...
I read somewhere it could be the pipe leading out of the house thats banging against the concrete...or mabe it needs some pipe insulation..?
Thanks for any info
Thanks
SusanGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
DIY'er

LOUD sump pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGG View Post
The noise was always there but now its loud...before it was like a little noise that you heard but it didnt disrupt you...this one is a loud thud...sounds like the sopper pipe is rattling also
from what I can see they ran a piece of white pipe off the original one and installed the emergency one.
Its the original pump thats banging cos the new one only works in case of a power outage...
I read somewhere it could be the pipe leading out of the house thats banging against the concrete...or mabe it needs some pipe insulation..?
Thanks for any info
Thanks
So it makes the banging noise whenever the main sump pump runs? It could be how they have plumbed in the drain pipe for the backup pump or there could have been a problem with the main pump that has gotten worse.

Do you have a photo of the setup that you can post? Then we should be able to tell you if the drain pipe is setup properly.

Does the noise sound more like water hammer (like when a water valve is turned off really fast) or does it sound more mechanical like it is in the pump?

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #5

LOUD sump pump

you describe an unusual system tho i suspect its actually a battery-powered float-controlled 12v dc pump,,, the system usually T-ees from 1.25" pvc main discharge just above the checkvalve, loops to accommodate the backup pump, & then rejoins the main discharge,,, since you post'd copper discharge, another anomaly,,, we'll guess it was just lying around OR a plumber installed this system rather'n someone who's main work is ' waterproofing '.

normally the main discharge wouldn't be disturbed altho that's possible,,, you may be hearing pipe movement - cann'd foam insulation will resolve.

if the float valve/checkvalve's positioned correctly, pump's submerged all the time & covering water deadens pump sounds,,, usually but not always.

Last edited by yesitsconcrete; 09-30-2008 at 06:36 AM.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote