Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #1

Share |

Loud noise when turning on water

Everytime I run the water in my house (faucet, shower, toilet, etc ...) hot or cold there is a loud noise coming from the main water supply pipe in the house located in the garage by the water heater.

The noise sounds like a mixture between a whistle and a siren (not s ure how to describe it) and stays constant until the water stops running.

I had a new water heater installed around 6 months ago. The company who installed it said it has nothing to do with the installation since the noise is coming from the pipe leading to the water heater and not from the water heater itself. They say it's most likely something with the valve. I'd like to know if anyone knows what the problem might be and if the problem can be related to the installation process since it was done via my insurance.

Thanks
celo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #2

Loud noise such as whistling in water piping usually occurs because the pipe is undersized for the amount of flow going through it. Water systems should be designed for optimal flow around 8 fps. If a pipe is undersized the water will travel much faster than 8 fps and will "scream" when flow is introduced.

How many, and what type of fixtures are fed from this water line?

It is still odd that you get the noise even if only 1 faucet is running. Is the water meter near by? Perhaps a valve on the water meter was closed during the water heater installation and not fully reopened?
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

We had the same problem, had to install a pressure regulator.
ACampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell View Post
We had the same problem, had to install a pressure regulator.
I've seen this problem as well from houses that have them where they've failed. OP needs to check their water pressure. If it's over 80, install/replace a PRV
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote