Loud Noise, No Hot Water In Bathroom Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Loud noise, no hot water in bathroom sink

I have a house that is about 4-5 years old. Within the past few months, my main bathroom sink has started to make a loud, almost jackhammer-like noise when the hot water is turned on. It then loses pressure. And more often than not, no hot water ever comes out, only cold. Also, it sometimes makes a kind of squealing/howling noise before it does the hammer noise. I don't remember the faucet brand, but it is the kind that only has one handle to lift, turning left for hot and right for cold. I have had no issues with any other faucets and have no issues with hot water supply anywhere else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's very annoying!

My faucet looks like the MOEN Adler 4 in. 1-Handle Low-Arc Bathroom Faucet in Chrome Model # CA84502

Disclaimer: I am not plumbing smart, so be as specific as you can. Thanks!!

Advertisement

Last edited by loniac; 11-22-2010 at 10:51 AM.
loniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I think the cartridge inside the handle broke. Moen faucets can be a pain to replace that cartridge (and they can be easy) if you have shut offs under your sink turn them off and "turn on" the faucet to relieve the pressure. You'll probably need an assortment of tools such as a small allen wrench, a crescent wrench and probably needle nose pliers. (not a easy job) take out the cartridge and go to the store to get another one (lowes, menards, home depot, etc)

I would consider having a mechanically inclined person come over to give you a hand if you are affraid of messing something up, take pictures if you have to. Take your time and be careful.

Advertisement

immeraufdemhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #3
Picky Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

Sounds to me like either your stops aren't on all the way and the washer is vibrating as the water passes or the washer is deteriorated and needs replaced.... it's not the faucet. Almost 100% possitive it's the stop ("shutoff")
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #4

Well, last night I opened up the hot water valve a little more. That seemed to take care of the jackhammer noise. I get better hot water (meaning I actually get some), but the pressure is still low when turned all the way to the hot. Also, the howling noise is still there a little when all the way hot. If anyone has an idea for that, let me know. If not, at least I got rid of the super annoying part.

Thanks for the tips so far!
loniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
Picky Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

May need to replace the shutoff... or the washer.... could be damaged from the not being on all the way.... Also, pieces of it may have restricted the flow on the hot side which may require you to clean or replace the cartridge
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #6

Hey loniac I thought this might be helpful to ya. The link is to Moen showing how to disassemble and reassemble the faucet to get at the stem.
http://www.moen.com/consumer-support...al?id=moen0133

Advertisement

Last edited by ChrisFixit; 11-24-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: link
ChrisFixit is offline   Reply With Quote