Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Lost Mounting Brackets.

Hi there, All,

I'm not really sure if this falls under "plumbing" so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

I bought a discontinued pedestal sink from Lowes a few months ago and am just now getting to the point of installing it. I have either lost the mounting brackets, or they were never in the box in the first place. The sink is from some no-name manufacturer without a website or any contact information I can find.

What can I do? Do I have any options or am I S.O.L.?

Many thanks and best regards,

Hillary

811Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Lost Mounting Brackets.

Assuming the sink can't be mounted without the brackets, I'd say you're SOL. Some sinks have holes that might allow mounting without a bracket, or perhaps you can improvise something. Can you show us a picture of the back of the sink? Might be able to come up with something.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #3

Lost Mounting Brackets.

Yes, the sink has holes on the back. Good idea - I'll take a photo tonight and post it.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Hillary
Old 12-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Lost Mounting Brackets.

As long as the sink is stable, meaning doesn't rock on it's base, you can sometimes anchor the sink directly to the wall with lag bolts either screwed into a stud or into an anchor running through the holes in the back of the sink. However, if you go this route, make sure you put large fender washers between the head of the lag bolt and the inside of the sink.

Like I said, as long as the sink is stable on its base, the bolts aren't really supporting anything, they are just keeping it from rocking and tipping.

Good luck.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #5

Lost Mounting Brackets.

Thank you, Brad.

I'm literally amazed that they don't sell spare mounting brackets for these sinks. In my limited experience with home improvement, I've been amazed that you can buy pretty much anything you want. Replacement handles for 30-year old faucets, no problem. A little tool to help you caulk in a straight line, no problem. But spare mounting brackets - sorry, throw away the sink!
Old 12-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Lost Mounting Brackets.

If it was me, I'd figure that someone could fashion a plate for it, exactly where I'd look , I'm not sure, maybe a commerial plumbing house could recommend some place, also the place we use, they have a dump barrel in back room, never know what spare part they can find in there. I'd hold off scrapping it untill a few people said forget it to me.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Lost Mounting Brackets.

Oh, and if you happen to use the lag bolt method and drill into the wall for an anchor, make sure you don't drill through your water pipe. That would really suck.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #8

Lost Mounting Brackets.

Haha, thanks. I'm going to go ahead and let my dad handle the jerry-rigging on this one for me, so I'll warn him not to drill through the water pipe.

Thank you again!