Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #1

Share |

Lost kitchen water pressure

Ok, so underneath the sink in the kitchen I have a hot water line which splits into two parts, one for the faucet, another for the dishwasher. There is a shut-off valve on each of the two arms.

I'm trying to replace the faucet so earlier I wanted to make sure that I can shut off just the valve going to the sink - leaving the dishwasher alone.

So I turned the water to max hot, and slowly started turning off the valve under the sink until the water stopped flowing (there were actually a few drips).

Then I shut off the sink/faucet, and turned the hot water valve back to max under the sink.

At this stage everything should be as normal, right?

Well -- no -- after going back to how it was before, there is very very low water pressure, both cold and hot. This is on the sink side, I have no idea what is going on with the dishwasher but I can only assume it's not great.

Thoughts? Did I introduce some kind of air in the system and now it won't flush out? I unscrewed the tip of the faucet where there's a little filter -- just in case there would be junk in there, and it didn't help.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on this - wife is screaming at me needing the kitchen :-)

Thanks!!!

dantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

How old are the shut-off valves underneath the sink? Are they regular ball valves, gate valves or simple angle stops? With angle stops, sometimes the rubber seal inside will actually come off as you shut it, and a piece of it will be lodged inside of the shut-off valve. The only way to fix this is to shut off the main to your house, and disassemble the darn thing. Probably replace it too.

Thats my only guess is that its something with the valve since everything else stayed the same.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
How old are the shut-off valves underneath the sink? Are they regular ball valves, gate valves or simple angle stops? With angle stops, sometimes the rubber seal inside will actually come off as you shut it, and a piece of it will be lodged inside of the shut-off valve. The only way to fix this is to shut off the main to your house, and disassemble the darn thing. Probably replace it too.

Thats my only guess is that its something with the valve since everything else stayed the same.
Hi,

Thanks, that could be it. I have no idea what type they are, I think they are "Brassclass" (sp?) brand and they are a few years old (maybe 5-6).

I found it strange that even on the cold water there is the same issue - I didn't touch that valve.

Normally it should not be anything with air pressure or such getting in the system, right? I don't think these plumbing systems are that complicated.

Thanks!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm View Post
Hi,

Thanks, that could be it. I have no idea what type they are, I think they are "Brassclass" (sp?) brand and they are a few years old (maybe 5-6).

I found it strange that even on the cold water there is the same issue - I didn't touch that valve.

Normally it should not be anything with air pressure or such getting in the system, right? I don't think these plumbing systems are that complicated.

Thanks!!!
Air in the lines will flush out. Debris will not.

Brasscraft? Perhaps a brasscraft knock off?

If they really are brasscraft, you can actually leave the body on the water line and just replace the guts with guts from a new brasscraft valve. This saves you from messing with the joint thats on the waterline.

it IS odd if you didn't touch the cold side... in that case, could have been a break somewhere nearby in the city main, and debris happened to flush into your line?

At any rate, i'd start with the valves.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #5

sounds like trash to me =) well from what you are telling me the trash accumulated on your hot water valve that you turned on and off blew its way right up to your diverter in your faucet. explains the no pressure on hot or cold. i agree to save trouble later get you a couple of quarter turn stops and replace both. you will make every plumber that walks in your kitchen a happy fellow. =) a note about the diverter. depending on whether it is a single lever or two lever you will need to turn off the water *at those darned stops* and take the valves out of the one *single handle* or two *hot and cold seperate knobs* and slowly turn the water on at the valves *slowly* to blow or run the trash out of the pipes and reinstall the valves.*btw make sure you rinse the valves and get trash off via another source of water* generally the valves are not difficult to remove one big nut or two after you take the knobs or pull off. philips head or alan wrench =)
Austinmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
DIY staff

Did you remove the airiator? Unscrew the thing on the end of the faucet(where the water comes out)
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #7

I did remove the airiator and cleaned the filter behind it. Turns out there was a filter behind the faucet where the pipes come in, and that's where the gunk that you guys suggested might have been dislodged by the closing/opening the valve got stuck. Once that was cleaned I got my water pressure back!!!

Millions of thanks!