Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Share |

Lost Hot Water Pressure in Only 1 Faucet....

I recently changed my sediment cartridge filters (possible cause) and after that, I lost 90% of my Hot Water pressure ONLY in 1 faucet (cold is fine on same faucet). The whole house is ok on both hot and cold except this one and just on hot.

Seems like an air lock problem, but then I am not a plumber so it's a guess. I checked the aerator and it's clean so I doubt it's a sediment or clog somewhere. I also tried to open ALL the taps then ran the water and closed them one by one from the lowest to the higher to try and clear the air in the pipes. This didn't work.

So now I have no idea what's going so. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

vpr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #2

I usually start at the faucet and work back. I assume all valves are open? Single handle faucet?
Disconnect hot supply line and check for flow at the angle stop. If you have flow then a sediment blockage is in the supply line or faucet. Its a process of elimination. Are your pipes galvanized steel?

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #3

It's a two handle faucet. Still think it's sediment huh?

Pipes are Copper & PEX combo.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr80 View Post
It's a two handle faucet. Still think it's sediment huh?

Pipes are Copper & PEX combo.
Maybe, maybe not. But its easy to check. since its a 2 handle faucet- shut off the hot water supply, remove the hot stem and carefully, flush out the valve stem body and supply line. If you do it slowly, you might see the debris boil out the faucet body.
Or you may have a failing valve stem. You can inspect it while its removed.

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
remove the hot stem and carefully, flush out the valve stem body and supply line.
Talk to me like I am a 2 yr old

I have the supply line going up into the handle then another line going to the spout. So disconnect the first supply line right after the shut-off valve and check that?

Assuming the pressure on the supply line is OK, then what? How do I flush out the valve stem body?

And I don't even want to think about what happens if the pressure on the supply line is weak.

Thank you
Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #6

can someone give him the dime trick
jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #7

Go to your water heater and turn off the cold-water supply that runs to the tank. This will generally be a valve located directly above the tank, or somewhere near it, on the cold-water line. You can tell which line is cold by touching it.
Go to the lowest faucet in the house that is not having the water-pressure problem, ideally a basement faucet. Turn the hot water on full and let it run.
Locate the faucet that's having the problem. Close the drain (so the rubber washer can't fall down it when you take the aerator off). Remove the aerator screen at the end of the faucet by turning it clockwise. Once it's off, make sure to keep holding it in the same upright position as it was on the faucet, so the washer doesn't fall out.
Press the dime into the aerator, flat side down against the screen, to completely close it off. Depending on the design, you may have to remove the washer, put the dime under it, and put the washer back in over it. In most faucets, the dime will fit perfectly. Now replace the aerator on the faucet, turning it counter-clockwise.
Slowly turn on the cold water tap until it's fully on, and leave it on. Water will not come out of the faucet (because the dime is blocking it), so the water will run back through the hot-water line.
Return to the faucet in step 2 and watch the water coming out; you will likely see discoloration and waste material in the water stream. Let it run for a few minutes, until the water runs clear again. Let it continue running while you go back to the faucet with the dime in it. Turn off the faucet, remove the dime, and replace the aerator. Then turn off the basement tap and turn back on the water line to the water heater.

Tips & Warnings

Do not turn off the basement hot-water tap until after you've gone back and turned off the tap with the dime in it.

I han very low hot water pressure in all faucets, but the cold was fine. Flushed my hot water heater and it got worse, so I did this and now have great water pressure at all faucets. Was very easy and only took about fifteen minutes!!!!
jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaydevries For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-22-2012), VIPlumber (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

Awesome!! I will do this tonight when I get home and report back!!
Old 02-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #9

Yeah baby!!! Worked like a charm. Blew out a ton of air in the line. Although you missed the part about opening the hot water line in faucet in step 4. But yeah it worked.

Although after I went through all the step and re-opened the hot water, then more air needed to clear on the lower faucet since that one ran dry. So maybe I needed both hot and cold open in step 2?

In any case, thanks a lot for your help.