Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #1

Share |
Loss of Hot Water Pressure

I have lost hot water pressure in my house. The cold water pressure is fine. Our water heater is electric. The valve on the hot water line is wide open. Thank you for your suggestions and assistance.

dwhit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhit02 View Post
I have lost hot water pressure in my house. The cold water pressure is fine. Our water heater is electric. The valve on the hot water line is wide open. Thank you for your suggestions and assistance.
All faucets or just one? You may have a blockage from sediment, and at the valve on the cold inlet to the water heater is a suspect location.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
All faucets or just one? You may have a blockage from sediment, and at the valve on the cold inlet to the water heater is a suspect location.
It is in all faucets and the showers, probably the dishwasher and washing machine too.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #4

What kind of connectors do you have to the water heater? Cast iron? They rust faster than anything. You might also have a clog in the supply line. Do you have copper or cast iron supply lines? Cast iron is the worst but copper will corrode too after several years.

Ask yourself how many kitchens and baths you have. Do they all have this issue or just certain ones? This will help you trace the problem.

How old is your water heater? Dumb question, but you're sure water pressure is the problem and not temperature? If you only turn on hot is there a differecne than if you only turn on cold? if you need a higher temperature, turn the dial on the water heater up or it may be dieing.
jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #5

If you open one hot faucet and get only a trickle and then open a second hot faucet and the trickle gets even less then that is a sure sign of a blockage.

Did this all happen suddenly or got gradually worse and worse?

Try turning the valve above the water heater off and then back on to see if the blockage is there and got crunched up into little pieces to dissipate.

You may have to troubleshoot by cutting a pipe somewhere to see if the blockage is upstream or downstream, then soldering it back together and cutting it somewhere else, etc.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #6

Missouri? Maybe your pipe is partially frozen? Mine freeze in Ohio.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan03 View Post
What kind of connectors do you have to the water heater? Cast iron? They rust faster than anything. You might also have a clog in the supply line. Do you have copper or cast iron supply lines? Cast iron is the worst but copper will corrode too after several years.

Ask yourself how many kitchens and baths you have. Do they all have this issue or just certain ones? This will help you trace the problem.

How old is your water heater? Dumb question, but you're sure water pressure is the problem and not temperature? If you only turn on hot is there a differecne than if you only turn on cold? if you need a higher temperature, turn the dial on the water heater up or it may be dieing.
The pipes are copper. All of the faucets and shower in the house have this problem. The hot water heater is over 10 years old. The water gets plenty hot, there just isn't much pressure on the hot side.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan03 View Post
Missouri? Maybe your pipe is partially frozen? Mine freeze in Ohio.
The pipes aren't frozen, I thought of that too, but that isn't the case.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
If you open one hot faucet and get only a trickle and then open a second hot faucet and the trickle gets even less then that is a sure sign of a blockage.

Did this all happen suddenly or got gradually worse and worse?

Try turning the valve above the water heater off and then back on to see if the blockage is there and got crunched up into little pieces to dissipate.

You may have to troubleshoot by cutting a pipe somewhere to see if the blockage is upstream or downstream, then soldering it back together and cutting it somewhere else, etc.
That seems to be the case, we used to be able to run both showers at the same time and now doing that decreases the pressure and temperature.

This did come on all of the sudden, one day everything worked fine and the next day, loss of hot water pressure.

I turned the valve shut and then open once and that did seem to help a little bit, if that I keep doing that, will crush the blockage?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #10

In your faucets, the screen screws off the part where the water comes out. Take those off and clean them to eliminate possibilities. Maybe your water heater is corroding and leaving rust in the line and its caught in your filters?

What kind of connectors attach the copper supply lines to the water heater? Are they galvanized? Those corrode quickly and maybe that is your problem.

Next, I would try and bypass the hot water heater to see if the clog is in your lines or the hot water heater. Connect a hose from the inlet of the hot water talk to the output so no water goes into the tank. If it works, your water heater is clogged and you probably need a new one. If its still clogged, then the clog is in the hot water line and you have ot go from there. You will need to the right connectors to connect it. If you have flex hoses that go into the water heater, all you need is the 3/4" connector. You need to determine what you have (male/female) and buy the right fitting to connect it.

Tags
hot water heat problems, hot water heater, loss of water pressure, water pressure