Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Losing hot water gradually in shower.

Hello everybody. Over the last month or so, I have been having hot water problems with my shower. When I first start it and have the knob where it usually has to be to have the right temperature, it will either not get hot or get hot for like 15 seconds or so. Once it gets warm I turn the knob and it gets hot again, I can doing this until it maxes out. sometimes it will get hot again if kept in the full hot position, but sometimes it stays warm.

I do not have a hot water heater. I just have an Oil heat burner. I assume it's a coil.

Another thing is, I have been in the house for about four years. Since I have been there, when you are in the shower, and somebody turns on the sink in kitchen it gets cold.

any suggestions? can it be a bad coil in the burner, which is struggling to keep enough hot water for the shower?

Mikey Palmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #2

any suggestions?

thanks

Old 03-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

I would ask when this happens do you have good hot water at other fixtures?
If not then the coils may have some corrision and needs to be cleaned.
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #4

ok, I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. thanks for the suggestion.

Is cleaning coils something that is easy to do or should it be kept to the professionals?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,026

1. The coil may never have been able to serve more than one user of hot water since day one.

2. You may need another "zone" with a pump to churn the boiler water past the coil particularly in the summer when the house heating is shut down.

3. With any coil, if the water inside does not reach the boiler water temperature long before it exits then increasing the flow of water through the coil will result in a lower output temperature.

4. Cleaning out the coil is usually done with acid. Not really a do-it-yourself job. Lime deposits greatly diminish the gallons per minute the coil can deliver at a given output temperature.

5. Does your system have an anti-scald valve, either at the shower faucets or down at the furnace, that commingles cold water with the hot water and that could be out of adjustment?

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-05-2009 at 12:27 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
1. The coil may never have been able to serve more than one user of hot water since day one.

2. You may need another "zone" with a pump to churn the boiler water past the coil particularly in the summer when the house heating is shut down.

3. With any coil, if the water inside does not reach the boiler water temperature long before it exits then increasing the flow of water through the coil will result in a lower output temperature.

4. Cleaning out the coil is usually done with acid. Not really a do-it-yourself job. Lime deposits greatly diminish the gallons per minute the coil can deliver at a given output temperature.

5. Does your system have an anti-scald valve, either at the shower faucets or down at the furnace, that commingles cold water with the hot water and that could be out of adjustment?
Wow, thanks for all the info. I tried the faucets and other shower, and the same problem happens everywhere.

Also, I wanted to add that back before we had this problem, we were able to get the water super hot, scalding as you mentioned in number 5.

Are you saying that if I close the valve somewhat where the hot water feed is, can I possibly get more hot water?

thanks for the help

Is it a big money job to add one of those tall hot water tanks, which I assume requires another zone, right?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,026

If you decommission the furnace coil and install a regular (tall tank) water heater then you don't need another zone.

If you install a plain water tank and use the furnace coil to heat the water then you need one new zone that turns on a little pump to circulate domestic water between the coil and the tank and possibly also a little pump to churn the water in the furnace. At no time is domestic water (for showers, etc.) commingled with boiler water.

If you close the valve for the hot water feed a little you may slow down the flow so the water will always attain the desired temperature but the maximum flow of hot water is of course reduced.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-15-2009 at 01:37 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
If you decommission the furnace coil and install a regular (tall tank) water heater then you don't need another zone.

If you install a plain water tank and use the furnace coil to heat the water then you need one new zone that turns on a little pump to circulate domestic water between the coil and the tank and possibly also a little pump to churn the water in the furnace. At no time is domestic water (for showers, etc.) commingled with boiler water.

If you close the valve for the hot water feed a little you may slow down the flow so the water will always attain the desired temperature but the maximum flow of hot water is of course reduced.

When you say close the valve for the hot water feed a little. Do you mean the hot water where it leaves the boiler? thanks. I know nothing of this type of thing.

thanks for the help
Old 05-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #9

I have an update. I had a tankless hot water heater installed. It works great. Never run out of hot water now.

thanks