Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #1

Share |

Looking for recommendations on updating laundry sink faucet

I have a laundry sink faucet that most likely dates to 1982. It is now dripping a little and I figure I should just update the whole assembly (see pics) but am not sure exactly the best way to go about doing this. There are no obvious disconnect points for the faucet so I assume I would have cut the piping and solder new pipework in here or is there an easier fix?

Also wondering if there is something I could do to just replace the entire assembly so that I could install both a new sink faucet and new washing machine valves (they need to be replaced as well) all in one shot.

I have done some plumbing work before (replacing shut off valves for toilets and under sinks and have installed bathroom sink faucets) but this configuration for the laundry sink faucet has me left me wondering where to start.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for recommendations on updating laundry sink faucet-laundry-faucet.jpg   Looking for recommendations on updating laundry sink faucet-laundry-faucet-2.jpg  

Eagle One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #2

I have a very similar utility sink faucet. It's very easy to replace the washers. Just get a variety pack from the local hardware store, turn off the water and R&R the washers. 5 minutes, you're done. Much easier than replacing the faucet.

But if you feel industrious you might consider replacing those washing machine valves with a set of 1/4 turn ball valves or a single handle ball valve in a proper box with the drain pipe. Something Like this:

Last edited by raylo32; 08-19-2013 at 08:38 AM.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Turn off your water to the house. Open up a 1st floor faucet and also the laundry faucet.
Drain it all out. And replace it all the same way.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
I have a very similar utility sink faucet. It's very easy to replace the washers. Just get a variety pack from the local hardware store, turn off the water and R&R the washers. 5 minutes, you're done. Much easier than replacing the faucet.
Well, I do like EASY so I may just do this but as you can see from the pics, there is a lot of corrosion on the faucet and handles and I would like to give it a nicer appearance. What about painting the faucet after I grind off the corrosion?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #5

I dunno about painting... maybe you can clean it off with a wire brush and then use some Brasso on it. But the other valves are so ugly I am not sure it'd be worth the effort. In any case you can change the washers for cheap to stop the leak whilst you decide what if anything else to do.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #6

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Rou...aucet/3494.uts

Seems like a lot of work for a 42 dollar faucet.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #7

Yeah, I am thinking new faucet might be the best way to go and I think my wife will especially like that too.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #8

From a quick Google there are lots of choices these days for tub faucets, many with undersink water supply routing as well as the old brass top loader. I might do it with one of the nicer underneath ones if I was doing it now.

http://www.lowes.com/Plumbing/Laundr.../N-1z0x13e/pl#!

If you are redoing the faucet and piping also consider getting a laundry box and quarter turn or single handle ball valve to really neaten up your utility area.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_339848-138-3...all&facetInfo=

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24423-138-38...lve&facetInfo=
Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #9

Yeah, those are good suggestions too. I am going to explore all the options. We have so much going on now though that I may just have to replace the washers and consider the other options later. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #10

Doesn't look like corrosion on the faucets, just looks like dirt. I see splash/drips. Clean it with Fantastic or Varsol, 10 minutes with 200 grit paper if you really want to go all out, and replace the washers. And you are done. It will be easier to clean the handles when you remove them to replace the washers.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #11

Finally started tackling this job recently and had a few problems which have now caused me to change course. First off, one of the washer hoses just would not come off the valve so I left that on and tried to get the valves off. At first, I thought they were threaded on there but as I tried to torque them off with my plumbers wrench, I realized that they were soldered on there. I could have adjusted and just cut them off closer to the valve and used a new valve with a compression fitting but the pipe had already broken at the tee. At that point, I had to be more concerned about getting some shut off valves installed further up the pipe so that we could get the house water turned back on the same day. I installed quarter turn shark bite ball valves (see pic) to remedy this while I considered other options.

After checking out the available options for faucets that have the supply lines coming in from above (very few and basically unappealing), I have decided to go the remodel route and get a new laundry tub with cabinet and faucet included. The problem I now see is that I need to route the copper supply lines down but further back BEHIND the new tub and connect everything from below. I have never actually soldered anything before but I am fairly confident I could do it although I am also considering using more shark bites to finish off the connections. I assume I would want to solder or connect a 90 degree elbow to divert it back more towards the wall about 3-4 inches or so and then down and connect the supply lines from underneath? I don't want to make any assumptions on the best approach before proceeding so if you have any recommendations, please let me know...
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for recommendations on updating laundry sink faucet-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #12

There's no possible way those washer hoses were soldered onto the valves. They are basically the same fitting as on a garden hose. You must've been trying to turn them the wrong way.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #13
Retired Army Veteran

Can you move the sink out further from the wall if that's an option? If not, they do sell sharkbtye fittings for what you're trying to do. Just cut the pipe and slip them on and you're done. I wouldn't get too close to that insulation with a torch anyway. Just a thought.

Last edited by jmon; 10-14-2013 at 10:36 AM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
There's no possible way those washer hoses were soldered onto the valves. They are basically the same fitting as on a garden hose. You must've been trying to turn them the wrong way.
It was the washer valve, not the hose. The one hose was so badly corroded on there that I could not get it off but that wasn't an issue. It was the valve. See the pics. The first one is a closeup of the valve that I could not unthread. The second is the hose that was not budging.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for recommendations on updating laundry sink faucet-washer-valve.jpg   Looking for recommendations on updating laundry sink faucet-washer-hose.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Can you move the sink out further from the wall if that's an option? If not, they do sell sharkbtye fittings for what you're trying to do. Just cut the pipe and slip them on and you're done. I wouldn't get too close to that insulation with a torch anyway. Just a thought.
Moving the sink out would be ok except then the drain pipe will not line up and then that will be extra duty to correct all that. I hear you on the torch.

Last edited by Eagle One; 10-14-2013 at 11:02 PM.