Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Share |

Looking for options to terminate sump pump line

I currently have 1.5 " pvc from the sump pump to outside my house. I want to bury my lines, but afraid they will freeze. I plan on going from 1.5" to 4" PVC with a 2" air gap in between them. My main problem is I'm not sure where to terminate the line. I live in a corner lot so my options are limited. I thought about running a 4" line underground the using a pop up emitter to the street. Will the pump have enough pressure to use the pop up emitter?

word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

You are thinking about this right---there must be a 'free fall' pipe from the sump--an air gap--and then your 4" drain---

As to the emitter?---those are Okay if you never freeze--however--because the emitter sits into a 90---the pipe never completely drains---and that section of pipe will freeze--

See if there is a route that allows the pipe to emerge from the soil and drain out completely.

Some folks have to set up temporary winter drain pipe on the surface--and only use the underground drain in warm weather.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

You would probably have to look at a pump curve for your pump to be sure.

For example : We used a de-watering pump for a yard fountain/river/stream system that the H/O wanted custom built. We used a small pump with a 1.5" outlet and it pumped a decent amount of water, but they weren't happy with the amount of water that flowed off of the rock in the fountain, so they asked for a bigger pump. We put in a bigger pump (same 1.5" line in the ground) and actually less water came off of the rock. Depending on the design of the particular pump it may perform poorly with a smaller discharge line (ie : your popup emitter which would act as a restriction)

Especially since dewatering pumps are not really designed to be pressure builders, they are more like pressure overcomers. (if that makes any sense)
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You are thinking about this right---there must be a 'free fall' pipe from the sump--an air gap--and then your 4" drain---

As to the emitter?---those are Okay if you never freeze--however--because the emitter sits into a 90---the pipe never completely drains---and that section of pipe will freeze--

See if there is a route that allows the pipe to emerge from the soil and drain out completely.

Some folks have to set up temporary winter drain pipe on the surface--and only use the underground drain in warm weather.
I really dont want to use a pop up, but I can't think of any solutions. My side yard has a down ward slope to it so I was thinking of going that route. My concern is having a 4" pipe in daylight.
word2yamutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #5

Usually folks dig a ditch and bury the 4 inch. Slope it to a point of disposal. Road ditch or creek . Also make sure your pumped water will not flood neighbors property.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote