Looking For An Electronic Ball Valve With Timer - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10

looking for an electronic ball valve with timer

I have a question regarding recirculation of hot water with a standard hot water heater. A third copper recirculation line was run to all water locations in the house to provide instant" hot water when faucets were turned on but since nothings "free" it causes the hot water heater to cycle on/off CONSTANTLY. I do not want to add a granfos pump on the system but rather I am looking for an "electronic" ball valve that I can put in place of the manual ball valve that is currently on the third "recirculation" line that goes into bottom of hot water heater. Would like to be able to open & close this electronic ball valve based on time of day to have instant hot water only at certain critical times of the day to reduce HWH cycling. I think there are normally closed selinoid activated ball valves that could be used but all I want is a simply electric actuated ball valve with a timer similar to the gilmour company plastic valves that are used for exterior watering. They connect to an exterior sillcock and set the built in timer and it turns on & off the water based on settings. ....But I can not seem to find such a product made for hot water.
So in summary I'm looing for an electronic valve with timer that I can put in place of the current manual ball valve that is normally open but is causes HWH to cycle alot. Just want to be able to open & close the ball valve on hte recirculation line based on time (probably morning and evening for a few hours). The recirculation line really works well but gives the HWH a real workout and burns alot of needless propane keeping that water hot when no one is there to use it during the day.

That's my situation and was wondering is someone on the site could please help me?
MANY thanks in advance.


tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Water Treatment
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 935
Rewards Points: 900

It would most likely be cheaper if you found an electric solenoid valve, and run the 120 through a timer like what you would use to turn on the engine heater for your car or truck.
The valves are either normally open or normally closed.. all that you would have do is pick a valve the is either open and timer closes or closed and timer opens the valve.

The solenoid valve is what I use when I need to close and or open water flow to some treatment equipment.


Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to diagnose gas valve problems Nestor_Kelebay How To Guides 28 10-30-2013 04:19 PM
ball valve leaking bwall Plumbing 10 12-31-2012 07:25 PM
Is this gas ball valve safe? nutlog Plumbing 17 12-23-2008 01:40 PM
Best 1/2 inch water shut off valve. Nestor_Kelebay Plumbing 10 07-25-2008 11:16 AM
leaking 1 1/4" Brass Ball Valve creemore Plumbing 2 03-11-2005 08:23 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1