Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |

Longevity of rubber water feed hoses?

I am trying to find some manufacturer or other professional documentation for the estimated longevity of the black rubber hoses that apparently were commonly used for the water feeds in Heat/cooling wall convector units. I had one burst on me flooding all my apartment. Needless to say I would think a savy apartment manager would be doing preventative maintenance and replacing these for braided ones. I wasn't so lucky. They finally did at this event but they utilized these new "shark' connectors which gives me pause given the "talents" of our handyman. A look at the shark video says they should be used only with a particular plastic tubing which does not exist in the convector. Any comments on those about putting these on the old steel and copper piping? I don't have apartment renters insurance and I'm trying to make sure the repairs get done right! This is my 3rd flood damage in 6 months!!

Last edited by medusa; 02-10-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

And you do not have renters insurance because?
Best $ you can spend.
I've never even seen anyone use black rubber hose for any plumbing on a house. And rubber even tires will fail over time.
That's got to be one dumb or very cheap landlord to have not replaced them all by now.
The tubing your talking about is Pex.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #3

Well because I am living off of SSDI and expendable money like that isn't available. In all my long years of apartment /condo renting I've never had this kind of problems as I've had in this building with these owners and their last luster maintenance men. It's a case of extremely cheap being transferred to new owners some 3 years back and they were swimming in bills trying to update the major Boiler repairs that they didn't think perhaps of the smaller needs that would prevent damage. I know that the rubber hoses fail with age as they do for cars and just any other use. Rubber corrodes as will eveything but it bites when landlords take a lets wait and see attitude on maintenance or repairs. It's a combination of both cheap and dumb...sadly at renters expense. So is the shark connector appropriate for this type of connection??
medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #4

No idea, no one here can see what you have without a picture, even then we would have to guess.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
connectors, hoses, rubber, shark